Extralite Alugrease Super1; equivalent?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey

Extralite specify that their CyberRear hub needs to be lubed with their Alugrease Super1. This is a synthetic, additive free, low-viscosity grease.

Wondering; given this description, are there any alternatives I could use? I can't get this exact grease locally... I know I could order it and wait a few weeks for it to arrive, but wanted to know if there was an alternative...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I would have thought Rock n roll super slick grease would work well given it is low viscosity.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Djkinsella89

by Djkinsella89

Or slick honey. I know powertap recommends it for their free hubs.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

fair wheel bikes sales it... it's were I got mine.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

rmerka

by rmerka

To be clear it's not low viscosity. The stuff is doesn't flow. It is low density as in light and not heavy like marine grease. The closest stuff I've seen to it is DT Swiss grease.

lannes

by lannes

I've used FSA ceramic grease in my ceramic bb's with no problems

http://www.labicicletta.com/fsa-ceramic-bearing-grease

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Ahhh the reason for using the alugrease super1 is that it has additives to preserve the orings.. It's really really cheap and it doesn't really make sense given the extralite hubs use an oring instead of a spring in the drive system not to use it :noidea:

Djkinsella89

by Djkinsella89

Alugrease is additive free. There's really nothing special about it. It's just a fairly run of the mill lithium complex nlgi #1 grease made in Italy by Aluchem. The main concerns in finding a alternative to it should be finding a grease that doesn't adversely affect the rubber O ring material as well as a grease that has low break away torque as to not impinge paw movement, prefably a nlgi #1 which is lower viscosity than the more common nlgi #2 bearing greases.

rmerka

by rmerka

That's funny that you say that because that's the one type of grease that Extralite says NOT to use.

Djkinsella89

by Djkinsella89

Standerd rule of thumb is NOT to ever use lithium thickened grease around rubber. That being said, the alugrease super is a lithium complex, which can have vastly different properties and compatibilities than standard lithium. I can't personally vouch for the alugrease supers compatibility with O rings but one would hope extralite did there research there.

Going back to my original recommendation of slick honey though; it's a calcium thickened grease with known comparability with rubber O rings (good) and, even though it's rated as nlgi #2, its more like a #1.5 with very lower break away torque (also good) and it can be found pretty easily.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

So yeah, ended up ordering a big tube of the real thing from Extralite. Waiting for it to arrive now.

Cheers for all the info and comments. Interesting stuff!

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Got the grease. The tube is massive and I am never ever going to finish it.

If anyone is in Japan, needing an Extralite hubs servicing, give me a shout! Haha. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

Resurrecting this thread, the joys of Brexit are making ordering from mainland Europe a problem from the UK now. Did anyone ever come up with a more easily sourced alternative to Alugrease Super1? Or somewhere in the UK to buy it?