Zipp Firestrike,Roval CLX64, Xentis 5.8, what would you get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tb123

by tb123

Fwiw I've not ridden the other two but have the Firestrikes. They are seriously good and the braking is in another league compared to my 202's which were no slouches stopping on descents either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pottsy

by Pottsy

Nefarious86 wrote:I run CLX60s with yellow pads and DA9000 pads on the crit bike.... If you call that crap braking then I'm curious to know what you define as good.

I had a set on CLX 40s & I ran Black Prince pads. They were terrible.
I actually gave them away.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

zappafile123 wrote:
Multebear wrote:If I where you, I'd buy some cheap alloy clinchers for daily training

I've been riding on a combo of Campy Neutrons and Fulcrum RS XLR tubs. I spent about 2 years riding on a set of Hed Jet 6 FRs and find it a bit dull riding round on shallow rims. The Hed's probably saved around 20 watts at speeds > 35km/h. Its an addictive sensation. If anything, I'd get a set of tubs as my special 'race day' set.

As for your comment about DTs hubs, thats interesting. I had heard they werent the best. However, The Rovals just use DT internals with ceramic speed bearkings. The hubshell is made by specialized. As such I doubt the issue of bracing angle applies here.

NealH resale is important when you go through as much kit as I do. I use the money I get from selling stuff to fund new projects. Keeps the missus happy.

I reckon I'll just demo the Rovals and the Xentis and make my decision from there. That photo of the busted firestrike hub is not promising.

Why get Tubs when clinchers are just as fast these days? See all the recent TT victories on the Pro Tour level on supple, high end clinchers.

Before I racked it, I used to run a set of debadged Xentis 2.5's with ceramic hubs with debadged Specialized S-Works Cottons in 24mm as my go to wet weather, hilly day wheelset in place of the Bontrager Team wheels.

I'm now using Xentis Squad 2.5's as my everyday wheelset with Specialized Turbo Pro in 26mm and a set of Xentis Squad 5.8's with Specialized S-Works Turbo in 24mm as my race wheels, they are super fast, can get on the brakes later than everyone else and track so well around technical circuits.

Can't speak highly enough of them.

@Pottys, 100% agree about Rovals.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

DartanianX wrote:
Why get Tubs when clinchers are just as fast these days?

[Xentis]...Can't speak highly enough of them.

@Pottys, 100% agree about Rovals.

Supple 25mm Tubular tires do feel nicer than clinchers. A few hundered grams off the rim doesnt hurt either. Thats why I'd get tubs for special occasions.

Will be investigating the availability of the new 'ultrawide' xentis lineup at work tomorrow.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Pottsy wrote:[
I had a set on CLX 40s & I ran Black Prince pads. They were terrible.
I actually gave them away.

Different brake track entirely, or so I've heard from the Specialized reps.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have a set of tents and a set of clx40s. The clx40s started with excellent braking but after 5000K the brake surface was polished smooth and braking was awful. The xentis brake well but the pads glaze easily and need regular sanding otherwise they are as bad as the rovals. I think they have made a running change to the brake surface as well, they are all now a woven scrim, my set had the UD brake track which i am sure is the problematic one.

The xentis do not compare to my set of meilensteins which outbrake them comprehensively.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zappafile123

by zappafile123

turns out I can get Bora Ultra clinchers for the same price as the Rovals... very tempted! Though they dont get a tick in the aero department :/

it seems as though a unicorn wheels may not exist (light, stiff, great hubs, great braking in the wet/dry, aero, wide)
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Grill

by Grill

RZR92? :D

joepac

by joepac

The Xentis and Boras would both be pretty badass looking and light. They have both been widened out to 24mm. The Rovals will be super aero and super fat. Really the difference in aero will be like 10-20 seconds in an hour long TT... so get whichever you thinks look best. If you "downgrade" to the Bora Ones you can save some money and still have some light wheels.

I know a few people with Roval wheels and they seem to like them, no complaints with braking.

Multebear

by Multebear

zappafile123 wrote:
As for your comment about DTs hubs, thats interesting. I had heard they werent the best. However, The Rovals just use DT internals with ceramic speed bearkings. The hubshell is made by specialized. As such I doubt the issue of bracing angle applies here.

My mistake, I thought you wrote somewhere, that the wheels had DT Swiss hubs.