Zipp Firestrike,Roval CLX64, Xentis 5.8, what would you get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Hey,

I've been lucky enough to get a job at a generous specialized concept store and have the opportunity to dump my wage on a juicy new set of a wheels. I've narrowed my choice down to these three, though I do theoretically have access to Reynolds, Campagnolo and Enve wheels (the latter two, however, are significantly more expensive for us). I thought I'd ask you guys: what wheelset would you pick and why? Lets chew the fat on some gorgeous kit.

I plan to use the new wheel set as my daily workhorse. Am also hunting for a power meter so I might build up the wheelsets with a powertap GS.

Zipp 404 Firestrike:
Pro:
    Reputedly class leading braking surface = good everyday wheel
    Genuine aero credentials
    Super wide
    Excellent scope for resale
    fairly attractive
    Can build with PT GS

con:
    comparatively heavy (~1625g)
    brand history of inferior hubs (however, the new hubs are meant to be better)
    probably not very stiff (hubs)
    ~$300 more than Roval, $1000 more than Xentis

Roval Rapide CLX 64
pro:
    super wide
    very attractive
    DT hubs + ceramic speed = best hubset among the three
    ~80g lighter than zipp (1545g)
    cheaper than zipp
    given Specialized's reputation, the wheels will be *almost* as aero as they are made out to be (i.e. faster than zipp)
    moderate scope for resale

con:
    Expensive compared to Xentis (~$700 more)
    braking on previous gen Rovals was reputedly terrible, expect average to mediocre braking performance = not as good for everyday use
    low spoke count may make the wheels a bit flexy/inhibit handling
    cannot integrate powertap

Xentis Squad 5.8
pro:
    apparently they have excellent braking performance = good everyday wheel
    pretty light (~1500g)
    cheap
    PT integration possible
    make the boss happy

con:
    Not wide = may not feel or handle as nicely
    not that attractive
    poor scope for resale
    apparently almost as fast as zipp, but otherwise unproven aero performance

I'm not exactly sure what to get. Each wheelset has strengths and weaknesses. Naturally its very likely I will be happy with any choice as they are all high quality wheelsets. The issue is the balance of factors from practicality for everyday use, performance, aesthetics, and resale value. If you tell me about your experiences riding these wheels you'll help me a real world grip on the strengths and weaknesses of these wheels. I might opt for a crank based power meter.

Thanks!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dntong

by dntong

My choice would lean towards the Roval Rapide CLX64

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

FWIW, the new CLX's have a fantastic braking surface.

F45

by F45

CLX, no question, if your bike's brakes can handle it.

Check out the Firestrike's hubs: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=129645&start=45

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Xentis has changed the size of rims from 20.5mm to 24.mm over brake track.

I would go for Xentis Silver version in tubular of these.

Or, Easton Aero 55 tubular!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

davidalone

by davidalone

Roval CLX4.

Grill

by Grill

Xentis. So solid and the best braking of the bunch.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

wheelsONfire wrote:Xentis has changed the size of rims from 20.5mm to 24.mm over brake track.

I would go for Xentis Silver version in tubular of these.

Or, Easton Aero 55 tubular!

do you know when the wide Xentis will be available? That may well be a deal breaker for me. I can get the rims on their own so I can build them with whatever hubs I want. Great brake track, wide rims, good hubs, thats all you need!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

CLX64 and save the gap for a P2M or Quarq.
Using Tapatalk

Pottsy

by Pottsy

I have a set of Xentis 5.8s on my Venge. Best braking on a carbon wheelset.
Can be a little squealy sometimes if you run standard pads on then. So I use the Xentis pads with a little toe in.

I've handled the CLX 64s & yes they are very phat. Havent ridden them though, so cant comment on the braking.
But looking at the rim surface its very similar to the previous Rovals. Those I have ridden & yes those are crap.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I run CLX60s with yellow pads and DA9000 pads on the crit bike.... If you call that crap braking then I'm curious to know what you define as good.
Using Tapatalk

skidmark

by skidmark

I have about 5000km on a 2015 set of 404 Firecrests. I got them for a very good price because I race for a shop team. These are my 2nd set of Zipps, and wasn't too keen to run another set because I didn't rate the hubs on the previous version (2013 404). The radial lacing on the rear used to flop about on me in sprints - I just didn't really like them.

The 2015s have really impressed me. The hubs are much, much better - the rear wheel is much stiffer in sprints and as a result, they feel faster. I have absolutely hammered these wheels. I've hit pot holes at 60km/h, had pinch flats, hit speed bumps unexpectedly and they're as straight as they were when new.

I tried not to like these Zipps as virtually everyone has them, but I genuinely can't fault them. I'm sure the firestrikes have event better hubs, with (I believe) ceramic speed bearings.

If you're looking for a tool which will help you go faster, buy the Zipps. They'll also sell on better than the other two sets you mention. Only someone with a Specialized will by your Rovals (maybe)...

That said, if I could have any set of wheels, Id buy a pair of the new Boras...

NealH

by NealH

Buy the wheels you really like, and not with resale in mind. Only buy something that you intend ton getting all your money's worth in use. Nothing cycling related is known for resale value, and it shouldn't be.

I would by the CLX 64.

Multebear

by Multebear

Do you want one of these wheelsets as daily wheels? What will you ride in races or on special occasions then? If it's just for daily use, then I wouldn't bother considering performance. Just pick the cheapest ones. And buy top-level wheels for racing and special occasions.

And btw DT Swiss hubs aren't the best hubs at all. They have poor bracing angles which won't build a stiff wheel. But the hubs are durable and easy to service. You'll find topics on this board, that elaborate more on DT Swiss and bracing angles.

Regarding weight, you need to consider, if you want lighter gear because you like light weight, or because you think it will make you faster. If it's for going faster, I'll recommend this link. It's very surprising, how often aero trumps weight even when you're going uphill.

If I where you, I'd buy some cheap alloy clinchers for daily training, and then a pair of Firestrikes for special occasions, since they probably are the most aero of the three, which will give you most performance.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Multebear wrote:If I where you, I'd buy some cheap alloy clinchers for daily training

I've been riding on a combo of Campy Neutrons and Fulcrum RS XLR tubs. I spent about 2 years riding on a set of Hed Jet 6 FRs and find it a bit dull riding round on shallow rims. The Hed's probably saved around 20 watts at speeds > 35km/h. Its an addictive sensation. If anything, I'd get a set of tubs as my special 'race day' set.

As for your comment about DTs hubs, thats interesting. I had heard they werent the best. However, The Rovals just use DT internals with ceramic speed bearkings. The hubshell is made by specialized. As such I doubt the issue of bracing angle applies here.

NealH resale is important when you go through as much kit as I do. I use the money I get from selling stuff to fund new projects. Keeps the missus happy.

I reckon I'll just demo the Rovals and the Xentis and make my decision from there. That photo of the busted firestrike hub is not promising.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com