Bigger PITA - Tubulars or Tubeless?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

My experience with sealant is 0 for 4 on the road. It didn't fix a tubular flat I had, and it didn't fix the three tubeless flats I've had :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

User error?

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Really? It's kinda hard to screw up pouring 2oz of fluid into a valve... :lol:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well there is always one or two it does jot work for but for most tubeless and sealant works just fine. I use sealant in my tubs and it always fixes the punctures u less it is a really big one. There are tyre worms which you pop in and plugs the hole so you can ride again.
http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p36319/Genuin ... oCRw7w_wcB

I tend to leave what ever is in the tyre as a plug till I get home. You could always stick something in the tyre grass anything to slow the escape of air.

mattr

by mattr

BeeSeeBee wrote:Really? It's kinda hard to screw up pouring 2oz of fluid into a valve... :lol:

It's very easy to not read the instructions, or take any sensible precautions. Lots of people don't.

Shake the sealant bottle, really thoroughly, to make sure you have a nice mix of all the part of the sealant. Rather than just the fluid. (Finding a near empty bottle at a mates that was almost solid latex beads as he'd never shaken it was funny, especially as he regularly complains of punctures.)

Clean the inside of the tyre to make sure there is no mold release agent left, if there is the sealant beads and won't work properly. (It needs to wet the tyre wall to work properly.)

You can also add glitter to the sealant to increase it's sealing capacity (but it might dry out/solidify quicker)

Oh, and some sealants are really really crap.

DCnoJ

by DCnoJ

As a competitive cyclist and mechanic, the PITA ranking is as such (from worst to least): Tubular, Clincher, Tubeless.

Tubeless: Between my friend, girlfriend, and myself, we've had 3 flats total on tubeless tires. One was a manufacturing defect where a large portion of the tread separated from the casing (Hutchinson). The time saved not changing flat tubes compared to the "extra maintenance" required for tubeless is not even close. Enve and Bontager full carbon tubeless ready wheels, Schwalbe Pro ONE and Vittoria Open Corsa TLR, and the Milkit tubeless kit has changed the game. I'm riding Enve 2.2s with Pro ONEs and Orange Seal sealant, installed with the Milkit tool and valves. PITA my ass.

Clincher: Compromise between ride quality and puncture resistance. Wasting money on tubes and CO2s, as well as time pulled over on the road. Money and time, and time is money.

Tubular: Removing and installing them PROPERLY is more work than any other aspect of bike maintenance. I've had sealant work sometimes. I've also had to replace tubulars after one road race. Money and time, and time is money.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

All the problems people have with tubeless are easily avoided. It is a learning curve but once you have figured it out then it is less of a problem.

beatle

by beatle

I mentioned this is another thread: You can use a self adhesive tube-patch applied with a smear of superglue on the outside of a tubeless tire to help plug holes that are relatively large. I never carry "back up" tubes anymore.

velomane

by velomane

DCnoJ, big thanks for the post. This thread had me rethinking my decision to go tubeless on my next wheelbuild. Can you point me in the direction of the website to learn everything I need to know about it?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

The only hassle I find is removing the old glue off the tubulars. Once that is done, I just apply 1 coat on the rim/tire, later on another coat on each...then mount tire. Next ride it.

The glue removal is the big hassle and PITA with tubulars...but, cant' deny my custom built 56mm tubulars that weight 1294g w/o tires. Some comparable would be 250g more in weight.

No experience with tubeless personally.

Besides trying something like Vittoria sealant if ever a flat, with extenders, things become a problem. No way you could use any other sealant unless I had a specific extender that worked with my tires (I don't) so you could poor a latex/fluid into the valve.

If the weight savings wasn't so great on tubulars, I would switch to clinchers for my race wheels/flat training days. Otherwise, out in the sticks, I run my clinchers for training.

shonanmike

by shonanmike

Another PITA issue with my newly built wheelset.

Persistent slow leaks at the valve. Sealant hasn't stopped them yet. Will let them sit a couple of days.

Rgds

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The rim tape is not fitted right. When this happen it does not sort it self out. What has happened when you pierced the rim tape to put the valve in you have cut it marginally too much and it just won't seal. You may wonder how I know.

I presume it is above because you have made sure the valve collar is nice a tight as that is the other common problem.

Tubeless is only a pain when you are learning the do's and don'ts.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

thanks beatle, hadn't ever thought of that!

beatle

by beatle

UpFromOne wrote:thanks beatle, hadn't ever thought of that!

:thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shonanmike

by shonanmike

Booted the valve with a bit of rubber from an old inner tube.

Now holds pressure quite satisfactorily.

Regards