Spoke advice needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scottw

by scottw

I'm planning on building a set of tubular disc wheels over the winter for my CX bike and I would like some advice on what spokes to use.
I weigh 190 lbs / 86 kg.
Hubs will be Industry Nine Classic CX disc hubs and rims will be HED Belgium disc rims 28 Hole.
I was thinking of Sapim Laser spokes but I don't know how they will handle my weight, I prefer not to use CX-Rays because of cost.

Thanks,
Scott

ergott

by ergott

Stick with Sapim Race or DT Competitions. Nothing will do significantly better and they are easy to source/replace.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I use Sapim spokes because I can get them pretty cheap at Dan's Comp. Its a BMX bike shop but they sell road spokes too. And alloy nipples. The brass nipples that come with the regular Sapim double butted spokes are huge. Much longer than DT brass nipples. Prices of $1.75 for the Ray. $0.85 for Laser. $0.40 for double butted. $0.25 for straight 14G. Black a dime more.

https://www.danscomp.com/shop-PARTS/gro ... pokes.html

I've used the Laser 14/17 spokes on front and nondrive side. Work fine for that. Use 14/15 for drive side.

scottw

by scottw

Thanks to both of you for the advice.
I am going to use the DT Competitions, I work PT at a Trek dealer and can get them in batches of 10 from Trek.

This should be a fun winter project.

Thanks,
Scott