Recommend a custom build wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tnkn

by tnkn

Hi all. I'm considering selling my Lynskey as a complete bike along with some Dura Ace C24s that I use on both my bikes

I'd like to buy another wheelset depending on the sale of that bike and would be grateful of some recommendations on the custom build side of things.

An alloy rim would be ideal, as light as the Shimanos – I think they are a claimed 1390g – wider than than the Dura Ace if possible to better accommodate a 25mm tyre.

Budget is around £600. Not sure you'll need my weight but i'm around 68kg.

Many thanks for any help.

Multebear

by Multebear

Pacenti SL23 V2 rims

Sapim CX-ray spokes or DT Aerolite

Choose the hubset you like between either WI T11, Dura Ace, DT Swiss 240s or CK R45.

Best rims, fastest spokes and best hubs. And if you're going for a 24/28 spoke configuration, you won't be able to brake the wheels with your weight.

Case closed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Pacenti sl23 20f 28r with WI I T 11 hubs and cx ray spokes. Weight 1425g.

The v2 rim is less stiff than the v1 rim I have found so it the spoke count if you like a stiff wheel.

Ryde pulse sprint rims are the other possibility with Wi hub you will have a wheelset in 24f 28r weight would be 1375g. Stiff too. The rear rim is offset.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tnkn

by tnkn

Thanks for the replies guys. They looks like decent options.

If you were going to buy a set of factory wheels what would you recommend. I've had two sets of Dura Ace C24s and whilst they are great wheels, light and value for money, I feel like a change. I could probably up my budget by a couple of hundred if needed.

Multebear

by Multebear

bm0p700f has written somewhere in a previous topic, that one can build home build wheels as good as any factory wheels out there. And I believe that to be true.

But if you really want factory wheels, campy make really good ones. Never read a bad review on campy wheels.
Last edited by Multebear on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Multebear

by Multebear

bm0p700f wrote:Pacenti sl23 20f 28r with WI I T 11 hubs and cx ray spokes. Weight 1425g.

The v2 rim is less stiff than the v1 rim I have found so it the spoke count if you like a stiff wheel.

Ryde pulse sprint rims are the other possibility with Wi hub you will have a wheelset in 24f 28r weight would be 1775g. Stiff too. The rear rim is offset.

This is a typo, right?

tnkn

by tnkn

Multebear wrote:bm0p700f has written somewhere in a previous topic, that one can build home build wheels as good as any factory wheels out there. And I believe that to be true.

But if you really want factory wheels, campy make really good ones. Never read a bad review on campy wheels.

I've had my eye on some Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite's. Not sure I could match up Campag with Shimano after reading various posts on here.

mimason

by mimason

^LOL, you will be cast out as pariah. Do you really care what anyone thinks?

Get what you want and ride the hell out of it....but the Fulcrums would be nice options.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I wrote 1375g nd the tablet changed it to 1775g. I am editing the post.

tnkn

by tnkn

mimason wrote:^LOL, you will be cast out as pariah. Do you really care what anyone thinks?

Get what you want and ride the hell out of it....but the Fulcrums would be nice options.

Cheers!

The others have given suggestions which sound great. I've started pricing up the components mentioned which will be on my list when buying a new set of wheels. It's not the worst thing in the world to ask for factory built alternatives is it?

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

The fulcrums would be nice of course

Don't buy the "Nite" braking track, doesn't worth the money upgrade

The Pacenti option with T11 or Dura Ace 9000 hubs would be sweet too for a custom wheelset that will have both good durability and easy maintenance

Allows you to get some sweet wide rims

davidalone

by davidalone

Archetye H plus Son rims are a good alternative if you want something cheaper

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The archetype rims is 70g heavier. Now in another thread I did say that is not such a big deal and got flamed for it. It is still not a big deal. However the Pacenti rim is wider.

Multebear

by Multebear

DT Swiss R460 is another option, that you ought to consider. They are the same weight as Archetype, but they are considerable cheaper at 30 euros/rim, and I'd say more aero than Archetype as well. The rim profile is very similar to Pacenti SL23.

And this guy doesn't seem to feel the difference between Pacentis (old version though) and DT Swiss R460:

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=133609&p=1159549&hilit=pacenti+r460#p1153904
Last edited by Multebear on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Another rim option would be Fratelli FX1722 rims they're 17mm wide and 405g (claimed) if memory serves me right.

BDOPcycling have a build kit which comes out at 1315g with novatec hubs. From my experience BDOP claimed weights are fairly accurate. With T11 hubs it'll come out slightly heavier.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)