Curve Cycling Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Canoworms
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Love how this guy goes around slating any new brand as BLATENT open mold rims. That's quite the accusation - and not the first (said the same about Knight Wheels).

Where's your proof son? Looking alike isn't enough. De-sticker other brands and they'll look the same. Like frames, just because they come out of the same factory doesn't make them the same bike.

I'd be amazed if you can back up your accusations. I'll just wager you'll YELL at me. And anyone else who isn't buying your trolling.

TheDarkInstall wrote:BLATANTLY just FarSports rims on DT Hubs (which you can buy direct from FarSports built up like this)

Yet another 'company' selling stuff from FarSports with a sticker on it, claiming it is their own.

And surprise surprise, they are available in 38 and 50mm, exactly the same as the FarSports stuff, because they ARE FarSports rims.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

MarkTwain wrote:I'd be amazed if you can back up your accusations

I remember in an email exchange they tried to fluff their way around the fact that their rims were open mould... However this was a long time ago when the brand first started (wheels were much cheaper then too) - things might have changed since then. But I do agree, the profile of this company does remind me a lot of Tokyo wheels - which have since admitted to be rebranding rims (though are apparently doing some R&D on their own closed moulds now).
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

MarkTwain wrote:Love how this guy goes around slating any new brand as BLATENT open mold rims. That's quite the accusation - and not the first (said the same about Knight Wheels).

Where's your proof son? Looking alike isn't enough. De-sticker other brands and they'll look the same. Like frames, just because they come out of the same factory doesn't make them the same bike.

I'd be amazed if you can back up your accusations. I'll just wager you'll YELL at me. And anyone else who isn't buying your trolling.

TheDarkInstall wrote:BLATANTLY just FarSports rims on DT Hubs (which you can buy direct from FarSports built up like this)

Yet another 'company' selling stuff from FarSports with a sticker on it, claiming it is their own.

And surprise surprise, they are available in 38 and 50mm, exactly the same as the FarSports stuff, because they ARE FarSports rims.

LOL, got a vested interest in all this? Can't see why you would be this annoyed otherwise.

You have to be blind not to see that these rims are identical to the ones FarSports sells, and loads of other companies pass off as their own.

-Same available sizes; 38mm, 50mm, same widths, 25mm, 23mm.
-Same laying of carbon in clear sections on the body of the rim.
-Same brake track.
-Same valve hole

etc.

They are the same rim. Desticker some Enves, and they will not look like these.

Also, I don't do this to 'every new brand', just the ones that are clearly bullshitting and selling on FarSports / Xiamen rims as their own, which is a common thing to be doing lately, and is totally ripping people off. The price difference between getting them direct from FarSports and here is VAST. It is tantamount to extortion.

And less of the 'son' crap mate. Don't try to speak down to me.

This is not trolling from me. It is entirely valid. I said the same thing about TokyoWheel, and look what happened there.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

My reply was simply using the tone you set buddy. No vested interest, just sick of reading your accusations. Which might hold some water in relation to Curve, but a whole lot less with Knight.

But great to see you didn't let me down with the yelling, lack of any sort of proof outside of "it looks like" and putting words in my mouth (I never said "every brand" - you even quoted it and didn't get it right).

Ultimately I have to wonder what your motives are. And why you're not hitting other brands of the same ilk, like November and Flo...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

BRB. I need popcorn.
Using Tapatalk

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Forgot to mention I'm also a Knight Dealer ;) Lol.
I'll see if I can get Curve to chime in directly.
Stay tuned.
Also, at the very least, none of Tokyo or FarSports ever got their product reviewed in Bikeradar, which does count for something, even if that something is just brand awareness.

Mike

istigatrice

by istigatrice

CippoForLife wrote:I'll see if I can get Curve to chime in directly.

Looking forward to hear what they say. Would you also be able to ask them what the transition glass temperature of their brake track is? What about things like Cd(A) figures of their wheels?

I also hope they can include error bars in their numbers.

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

gravity

by gravity

I dont know how the market in Canada is but CAD2,500 is quite extravagant.

Not sure where this cost coming from? Perhaps Curve has not reached economics of scale to compete with big players - if their claim to own the mould was true. Certainly not from R&D cost because i just dont believe it.

Looks like you have built and perhaps sold a few set of Curve wheels. Good on ya. I always look at your shop with admiration.

mimason

by mimason

MarkTwain wrote: like November ..

I have no skin in this game but would also like to have Curve chime in.

Regarding November, Their wheels are in the $1500 price point and use T11 hubs. Dave is also pretty open about his business model.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

MarkTwain wrote:And why you're not hitting other brands of the same ilk, like November and Flo...

They are not of the same ilk. As mentioned before November are open about it and their prices are reasonable.

Flo are also open about how they do things and actually invest CFD time.

Curve don't do these things. All they've got on their pallet are rims that look very similar to the new rims that Farsports are now selling... funny that.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

MarkTwain wrote:My reply was simply using the tone you set buddy. No vested interest, just sick of reading your accusations. Which might hold some water in relation to Curve, but a whole lot less with Knight.

But great to see you didn't let me down with the yelling, lack of any sort of proof outside of "it looks like" and putting words in my mouth (I never said "every brand" - you even quoted it and didn't get it right).

Ultimately I have to wonder what your motives are. And why you're not hitting other brands of the same ilk, like November and Flo...

The tone? Care to back up your accusation of me accusing 'any new brand' (quoted it right this time ;) ) of being like this? I called bullshit on Knight, TokyoWheel and Curve. If there are any more, then I would love to be reminded.

Also; had not even heard of November or Flo wheels. Checked them out and yeah, more of the exact same thing! There are so many of these pop-up brands selling on those FarSports/Xiamen rims, it is impossible to keep track of all of them all.

And for the record, my interest in this is purely as someone who can't stand to see such bullshit and lies being used to sell something not even designed or created by the people claiming it is their own. It is an insult to all the real designers out there who put in sweat and decades of work bringing original things to market. I have no financial interest in any of this, I assure you!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

If you have done your research right, you would have known that Flo wheels are alloy wheels with carbon fairing, not the farsposrts full carbon construction rims. Anyway, I think you have made your point adequately, time to give it a break.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

TheDarkInstall wrote:Also; had not even heard of November or Flo wheels. Checked them out and yeah, more of the exact same thing! There are so many of these pop-up brands selling on those FarSports/Xiamen rims, it is impossible to keep track of all of them all.

Wrong

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

TheDarkInstall wrote:
Also; had not even heard of November or Flo wheels.

You're not doing your homework and killing your credibility. The November rims are nothing like the open mold ones. Shape is different and they even have an impression of a rail cross section at the valve.