Curve Cycling Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

Have you looked into carrying Novmber, Boyd, or Nox rims?

I build with all three and the pricing is definitely better. Wondering if after shipping and tax if it would be better for you too.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Cippo

My prices might be off for "standard" LBS shopping but I saw a lot of americans buying Boras One from Ribble or Wiggle for 1500$ shipped

I think those rims look great indeed and having them custom built is nice, for example to change a spoke, etc. and it's great to support a local shop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

CippoForLife wrote:No need to get into flaming. I'm taking Curve at their word regarding the moulds being their own design that were later opened to other users.

I've brought in FarSports-style rims before and these are certainly differentiated in several ways, including the toroidal shape and brake track angle. Not to mention the warranty coverage.

Hahaha, whatever mate. The shape difference is just the updated 2016 shape that FarSports etc., are all offering. U-shape with slightly angled braking tracks. Go and have a look at their site. These rims are identical.

You can get DT240s built onto these rims for a fraction of the price 'Curve' are charging for these things. There are loads of guys passing these rims off as their own, at extortionate prices. TokyoWheel, for example, tried it on for ages, before actually getting dumped by FarSports themselves.

The claim that the guys invented the design, but couldn't afford to license it, so the moulds remained open is utter lies, clearly.

Anyone buying these, is easily parted with their money. You can get an identical product direct from FarSports for way less than $1000 USD. They do these rims at about $125 USD at the moment. $250 on rims, about $200 on spokes, and about $400 on hubs maybe; $850-ish. LOL.

F45

by F45

The advantage of name brand carbon clinchers is braking performance. These things want premium prices but without that advantage so what's the point?

Boyd are a far better deal at $1500.

I build my junky Chinese cc with Dura Ace 9000 hubs for about $750.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Won't really get more involved in this debate, other than to say that Bike Radar obviously disagree with their 4-star rating.

I have literally ordered from a range of Far East options before and the back end service is usually awful, very unlike Curve.

Braking performance, for the record, is not far off the feel of an SES, new 2.2's excluded.

sawyer

by sawyer

Cipo - don't take my comment re being overpriced the wrong way. I think they look great, but really the point I was making is the Euro/$/£ exchange and the competitive pricing from Campagnolo/Fulcrum in particular, is making it very tough to compete for a newcomer at these prices ... Good luck with them - your store looks a good one :thumbup:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

F45

by F45

Braking feel isn't what I'm talking about. How do the rims handle braking heat? If they use the same materials as the other Chinese stuff then the answer is, Not very well.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

@f45 - that's exactly why I don't bring in the no-name crap. I'll let you know how these babies brake soon.

Here is a better look at my new Curve 50 mm tubular build on Tune Mig 70 / Mag 170 gold hubs:

F45

by F45

The high cost of the good cc wheels comes from aero and braking heat R&D. Aero is easy to copy but the other is not. I would not pay $2000+ for wheels that are going to de-lam and fly apart on a descent. Sure they look good but so do Farsports.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Yeah hey, these are basically Chinese made Farsport rims. I have two custom set of rims built. One set is 56mm tubulars, with Tune 70/170 hubs and CXRays. They have been really good wheels, weigh in just over 1310g for the set.

Pretty obviously with those silly cheap decals they put on them.

Take the decals off, and you have my rims, seriously.

Also have a set of 40mm clinchers, same rim company with Alchemy hubs/cxrays, also another really good wheel, just over 1300gs as well.

Nothing wrong with them, but people should just buy direct from them, buy the hubs and have a builder string them up...I think my tunes ran me about $1200 to build, and that was due to the expensive hubs used. Rims are about $450 for the pair delivered.

Braking has been fine on both wheels, the brakes/pads are more important in this equation IMO. But I will say, my old Zipp 303 FC with black/grey pads, were really powerful stoppers for carbon. I'm using Far/Near brakes, and they are just not good/powerful stoppers, requires a lot of pressure to get the force needed. When I ran SRAM Red brakes same rims/wheels, braking was better.

I'm love my tubulars, but really just want to get a set of Enve 6.7 SES clinchers for daily/flat riding/racing to replace the tubies. I will eat the 250g penalty for the convenience and name of Enve. Maybe I'm getting old/lazy, replacing tubulars is PITA, but the other benefits are great. Probably lazy!

Good luck.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Different depths would mean different rims. 50 mm is different than 56 mm. And when have you seen a Curve set delam? Ever? Anyways...

6.7 clinchers are heavy for daily use, but the tubulars are awesome. I'd go SES 45 if I was going Enve clinchers.

F45

by F45

Where have you ever seen evidence that their braking heat management is on par with their competition?

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Zigmeister wrote:Yeah hey, these are basically Chinese made Farsport rims. I have two custom set of rims built. One set is 56mm tubulars, with Tune 70/170 hubs and CXRays. They have been really good wheels, weigh in just over 1310g for the set.

Pretty obviously with those silly cheap decals they put on them.

Take the decals off, and you have my rims, seriously.

Also have a set of 40mm clinchers, same rim company with Alchemy hubs/cxrays, also another really good wheel, just over 1300gs as well.

Nothing wrong with them, but people should just buy direct from them, buy the hubs and have a builder string them up...I think my tunes ran me about $1200 to build, and that was due to the expensive hubs used. Rims are about $450 for the pair delivered.

Braking has been fine on both wheels, the brakes/pads are more important in this equation IMO. But I will say, my old Zipp 303 FC with black/grey pads, were really powerful stoppers for carbon. I'm using Far/Near brakes, and they are just not good/powerful stoppers, requires a lot of pressure to get the force needed. When I ran SRAM Red brakes same rims/wheels, braking was better.

I'm love my tubulars, but really just want to get a set of Enve 6.7 SES clinchers for daily/flat riding/racing to replace the tubies. I will eat the 250g penalty for the convenience and name of Enve. Maybe I'm getting old/lazy, replacing tubulars is PITA, but the other benefits are great. Probably lazy!

Good luck.

Exactly. I have built up loads of FarSports rims over the years, on Tune, Extralite, DT, etc., hubs, for myself and friends, and these 'Curve' rims (lol) are 100% FarSports Xiamen rims. I have an intimate knowledge of exactly how all these Xiamen rims look and feel and the Curve rims are the same, with a silly sticker on.

FarSports, Yeoleo etc., even send out emails saying they can make custom stickers for people if they want them. LOL, that must be where the extra 1000s and 1000s of USD is going, compared to buying them direct.

And as for bad service buying direct... You what?!?? Kyle from FarSports is a heavy user of this very site! They reply instantly, and you can get them on Skype whenever, Facebook, Instagram etc etc. Way better than two bullshitters who claim they made these rims.

This is just another TokyoWheel fiasco waiting to happen. Give it time, and the truth will out.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

If Curve get a UCI sticker onto these, does that mean Farsports wheels are UCI approved? How much does the branding affect the UCI sticker?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

istigatrice wrote:If Curve get a UCI sticker onto these, does that mean Farsports wheels are UCI approved? How much does the branding affect the UCI sticker?

Haha indeed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com