Thoughts or reviews on the new Enve SES 2.2 clincher rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zurcho

by Zurcho

I'm looking for a lightweight, shallow profile, carbon rim to build up a climbing wheel set as an alternative to my fantastic Campagnolo Bora One 50 clinchers. I recently noticed Enve have updated their shallow profile 25 Classics to the SES line and am wondering if any of you fine folks have either ridden them or have an opinion on the improvements over the classics? I had a set of Edge classic 45 which never instilled the confidence the Campy Bora's do. Am I simply better off with something like the Campy Shamal Mille? Consider me vain but an all black brake track is a must for these wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The Bora ones are 1485g. The enve 2.2 ses are 1225g. If you think that 260g is going to make nay difference goign up a hill think gain. Why does this myth persist of climbing wheels. Try filling your bottle with 260 ml less of water and see now difference that doesn't make before you throw good money at more wheels.

You have to start saving one kg or more to make a difference preferably more and that can't be done with the wheels alone.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zurcho

by Zurcho

I think you have those weights wrong...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My tablet thinks 1225g is 1725g. That the problem here I have to remember to teach it every single number in existence it might take some time. My general comment still stands though.

Zurcho

by Zurcho

DC, I'd love a ride report once you get them!

bm0p700f, I like a full water bottle on my rides. Thanks for your opinion.

F45

by F45

Making fun of 250g savings on ww? HA!

Lighter wheels feel snappier, and that's all that matters. My 1300g cc feel great.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

What!! I didn't know they released 2.2's in clinchers. Sweet!

Would be curious to see what the CLINCHER rim weighs. The weight on their site of 281g is most certainly not for the clincher rim. ENVE generally does not make very light clincher rims (not bashing them, they're one of the best rims out there, just not the lightest). Look at their 25mm clincher is >420g/rim. Since the 2.2 is much wider, I would assume it will carry a bit more weight with it. My point is, you'll likely end up with a 1350-1400g wheelset with these, which isn't bad, but it really isn't much different from your Bora's, so why spend the cash?

It may be a placebo effect, but I do think there is gain to be had when going from a 1400-1500g wheelset to a 1200-1300g set. I laced up a set of 2014 reynolds attack rims (wide clincher rims like firecrest but much lighter) to Tune Mig/Mag 70/170's which weigh in at 1210g or so all said and done (375g/rim weight). Not bad for clinchers. And they climb very well. I have a pair of Assault rims laced to CK R45's that weigh in a little above 1400g to compare with them. When the hill gets really steep, or long, I do think there is a difference.

*Edit*: Wheelbuilder.com has the new 2.2 Clincher rim listed at 424g

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am not making fun of weight savings but the ops original post suggested he wanted wheels that will make climbing easier I am trying to suggest that 260g saving will do nothing to me climbing easier. His current aero set will climb just as quickly.

I have some light wheels (1000g to 1240g) on my own bikes but it do jot have them because I think they make me faster compared the heavier set I ride too, they don't. I have them because I like them.

If the op want something different form the enve's then maybe these are for him but for extra speed on a climb they can't do that.

jeffy

by jeffy

bm0p700f,

what would be your opinion on Assault Vs Attack rims for a build
IIRC Assault is 438grams & 41mm deep and Attack is 383 grams & 29mm deep

For a rider between 80 and 85kg would the Assault be a better option?

Disregarding any aero benefit, from your post ITT you seem to be saying that a ~70 gram per rim difference will be all placebo and "I have a nice light wheelset" fun type of thing

ergott

by ergott

Boyd has a light set of rims at 28mm deep. Set weight is claimed 1311g. I built up the newer 44mm rims and the quality is excellent.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Shamals rock.
But so do 2.2's.
I will say the weight difference at the rim can be felt for sure.
Campy probably gets the nod for stiffness though.
Horses for courses.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I never said you wouldn't feel the weight difference I just don't think feeling the weight difference and you being faster are actually connected for that kind of change anyway.

ross

by ross

bm0p700f this isnt Bikeradar. People here sand all the paint off their frames to save 50g

250g savings is a lot and whether you, me or anyone else could notice the difference or be faster or have a lighter wallet is irrelevant

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I gram pinch as well you know. I think my post have been completely misunderstood. One of my wheelset is 1020g (and it should have been 970g but I could get hold of the Ti spokes I needed) and that you can really feel the difference on. If weight savings are a goal do it properly. 22mm deep carbon clincher rims are not that light.

In fact it easy to build up a 1200g clincher wheelset with a wide alloy rim that would cost alot less than the ENVE's. The rims in these would be even lighter than the ENVE 2.2's. There are many ways to do light weight wheels. Shamals would be better I think and cheaper for similar results. ENVE 2.2 are just a really expensive way of changing the feel but not by a huge amount.

Also the weight I thought the ENVE wheels were (1225g) does not seem to be true. On the ENVE website they are listed at 1225g with a rim weight of 281g. The rim weight has to be wrong and is more like the rim weight for a tubular rim. If the rims are like ERgot said 424g then the wheels will be 1400g or more and then even more pointless vs the Bora the OP has.

That is my thinking on this fully explained whether anyone agrees with it or not is up to them.