Does Tune Mag 170 need the special tool kit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

velomane

by velomane

Apologies if this has been answered before. Can a Tune Mag 170 be serviced without using the TT08 tool kit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

You may be able to get away without it - the toolkit was needed to disassemble the old Mag180s due to the special freehub puller, however the design has changed sufficiently as to make that unnecessary. You'll still need typical hub service tools to work on one, but nothing exotic.

That having been said, the Tune toolkit isn't super expensive, and comes in handy when working on other brands of hubs, too.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

acetonehk

by acetonehk

Which service you mean?
If only remove the free body and grease, no special tool needed. Just pull out the axle cups.

velomane

by velomane

I mean just regular maintenance stuff, such as lube. Thanks for the replies. I'll have a closer look at the Tune manuals to see what they have to say.

acetonehk

by acetonehk

It should be very easy.
Just be careful of the thin shims between the cup and freebody bearing.

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

acetonehk wrote:It should be very easy.
Just be careful of the thin shims between the cup and freebody bearing.

This is the one big annoyance with Tune hubs - there are often shims between the rear NDS endcap and the NDS bearing which you'll need to keep an eye on too.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I'm unable to just pull the body off anything on the Tune Mag 170. I have them. You need to get a piece of something that will at least allow you to put the wheel on its side and elevated off the ground and around the axle part so when you try to tap/hammer with a spare quick release, you can get it off.

If somebody has video of just pulling this thing off...like to see that. I used an axle tool to try and get the cap off on the NDS...didn't happen. The instructions for techs shows how/what is required.

If I'm missing something, someone let me know. I can't get the thing off and don't have their TT08 tool kit either. So, just riding them, seem fine...but wanted to at least pull the axle/freehub off and clean/put some grease in there if needed.

Really non-friendly maintenance setup. Will never have wheels with these hubs again.

Thx

velomane

by velomane

Zigmeister wrote:
Really non-friendly maintenance setup. Will never have wheels with these hubs again.

Thx

I've read both these statements a few times now. It is making me rethink which hubs to build up a pair of Pacenti SL23's with. Any weight weenie suggestions?

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Feel free to email us with Tune questions btw. The hubs are awesome but yes the tool kit helps.
For "easier" serviceability I'd consider I-9, White Industries, or Chris King.
Unless you live close to us or Fairwheel, in which case Tune rocks.

BlacksmithCycle.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

velomane wrote:
Zigmeister wrote:

Thx

I've read both these statements a few times now. It is making me rethink which hubs to build up a pair of Pacenti SL23's with. Any weight weenie suggestions?

Yeah, take statements with a grain of salt, even mine. But PITA hubs without the kit, and even then, so many other brands of hubs make it so simple, 2-5mm hex bolts etc..to remove axle/freehub etc.

Also, so many local shops never heard/know anything about Tune hubs/servicing them, another issue. Unlike DT etc..or White which you can just likely do yourself easily with minor tools. I learned my lesson, anytime a "special kit" is preferred to do something, makes me run the other way. If I owned a bike shop/did service, well, you would expect to have professional kits for pressing BBs, bearings etc..but I've made/bought cheaply those tools to handle things like that. Spending $100 for a kit (20%) the cost of the hubs, doesn't seem like it makes good sense.

IF you like to wrench/do own maintenance, either order the TT08 and live with the difficulty, or just go with something else.

Hey, for the money, Enve has a nice set of carbon hubs now for sale. Assume they didn't make our lives miserable as well? So what if they are $1400/set, they only weigh 232g for the set!

http://enve.com/products/carbon-road-hub/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com