What's your favorite tubular tire?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

As a general purpose tire, i prefer conti competition in 25mm these days, good compromise between durability, performance and flat protection.
For ride quality, veloflex carbon.
I had the most flats on vittoria's.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

+1 for the Veloflex Arenberg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I rode Conti Competitions exclusively for 18 years (yes, they are that old -- although they've made incremental improvements on compound and casing material over the years). 2 years ago, I tried Veloflex Extremes on a WW build and liked them -- not just for their weight and suppleness, but they're still going strong after 2.5 seasons (on a 2-bike rotation), or about 3k miles. I have a Veloflex Carbon/Arenberg (F/R) combo on another bike and like that a lot too given the added suppleness and longevity, but of course at the expense of added weight.

sawyer

by sawyer

Last few weeks I've been running Pave CGs 24mm and have jacked the pressure up to 115F, 120R and been impressed by how fast rolling they seem. Maybe it's in the head but I've always found them sluggish at my normal 105psi ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

jet520

by jet520

Looks like Veloflex Arenberg is worth a try!

From my iPhone Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Depends on the time of year. Currently it is the conti gatorskin because it is not puncturing. There is alot of rain in the u.k at the moment. At least I don't live in Cumbria you need a keel up there not a bike.

slcvgn

by slcvgn

Just got a set of the new Vittoria Corsa G+ (w/Graphine). havent ridden them yet but they sure do look nice. I'm interested to see if there is a noticable difference behind all the marketing.
Street by street, block by block.

Krackor

by Krackor

Please report back about the Vittoria Corsa G+ when you've had a chance to ride them. I'd love to hear if they belong on my shortlist.

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

I used Conti gatorskin. They are strong and durable but much heavier than other tires. One day, I thought there was no reason to use tubular wheel if I use heavy tubular tires.
After that I have used vittoria.

kgt

by kgt

Conti gatorskin are not much heavier. On the contrary I find their weight/puncture resistance rather good.

FMB51

by FMB51

Have used:
Conti Comp - good overall, durable tire. My first foray in tubular (I'm 100% tubie now).
Veloflex Arenberg - Great tire, held up reasonably well (relative to Conti), but had a much better 'feel'
Schwalbe One - Really solid all round tire, good durability, nice supple feel.
FMB Competition CX - Great tire, super road 'feel' (have another pair aging on the stretching rims tight now)
FMB Paris Roubaix Pro - Only a few rides so far, too early to make any substantive observations
FMB Paris Roubaix - Just mounted (day before NE blizzard) curious to see how they compare to PR Pro's (feel, durability)

Have not tried the Corsa G+, but it son the list to try.

I really like the FMB's, and a, very interested to ride the Comp CX's again, right after the PR's for comparison.
Last edited by FMB51 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sawyer

by sawyer

Back on Contis having been through 3 Pave CGs this winter so far (all punctured, two with light use, and one with extensive use on rear) ...

Contis I'm using are Sprinter 25mm and Competition 25mm

Paves are a bit smoother at the same (110psi) pressure on the roads I ride, which is a plus. In all other respects the Contis are superior. Overall not much in it, and all are good winter efforts

Don't think Competitions are any better than Sprinters tbh, other than being fractionally lighter. Sprinters are about 60% of the price.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

Sprinters are among the best, if not the best, value for money tubulars IME.

RyanH

by RyanH

I buy Veloflex Carbons in bulk quantities from the EU for around US$52 each shipped. They're my favorite. I've ridden about 20K miles on sprinters and now 6K miles on Veloflex. Rate of flatting seems to be the same. I live in Downtown Los Angeles and have at least 8-10 miles of glass ridden roads to traverse on every ride. I'll never go back to Sprinters.

I have a wheelset with Vittoria Evo Pave 27mms. I have mixed feelings about them. On very rough surfaces, they are nice, especially at 60psi. On normal surfaces they seem less supple than the Carbons at 23mm@90psi. Also, I have noticed they make the bike twichy at high speed. I don't understand why, especially since the glue job was about as perfect as possible (I have 1mm of clearance on my Litespeed's left chainstay, so anything other than perfect would rub).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Junior7

by Junior7

I used Gatorskin Continental, They are heavy, but they are strong and durable.

Train where the streets are not very good. Only the Gatorskin to endure.