What's your favorite tubular tire?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What's your favorite tubular tire and why do you like this one the best?

I can start :D

I finally used a set of Veloflex Carbon and i must admit, this is my favorite so far.

Why?

It holds air pressure better than previous Vittorias, it offer the best ride feel i have ever experienced.

(Used: Vittoria CXII, CXIII and SR, Continental Force and Attack, Competition, Schwalbe The One 22+24 and Ultremo ZX)

It's like an air suspension, keeping the ride incredible smooth, kind of plush, still very fast and with great ride feel.

(A close compairson to Veloflex Carbon should be Vittorias, but they were not like this!)

No sense of sticky slow

(Like Ultremo ZX, which appeared sticky and slow (25mm)

No dead or wood like feel

(Continental comes to mind)

It seems fast (rolling really well) and it's an ok weight!

What i can't comment is durability and/ or puncture resistance.

I always play with air pressure, using 5 psi increments (in steps with + 5 for rear tire).

I am amazed going from 100/105 to 120/125, it's really like tuning a superb suspension.

This pair measure right at 23mm or a bit under and my scale says 280 grams (All new, with no base tape glued!)

I used Schwalbe glue, 1 layer on tire, 1 layer on rim and 1 final layer on rim.

Wheelset used, Easton EC90 Aero 55.

So far, this has been amazing!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I have a couple of different favourites for different riding styles. I run tubs all the time, except in winter, so have a set of training wheels and a few sets of good wheels all with different tyres to suit their intended use.

Best Performance - FMB Competition CX - Ride quality is in a different league to anything else I've ridden, feel noticeably better than Veloflex Criteriums or Roubaix. Hpwever, I wear a rear out in <1500km, and there is no puncture protection of any kind.

All Round- Veloflex Roubaix - I love the feel of these, very supple but with a bit of puncture resistance. Not as quick as an out and out race tyre though.

I've also used Vittoria Corsa CX - Cut up & punctured too easily, didn't feel anything special. Vittoria Pave - Good all rounder, just not quite as smooth as the Veloflex Roubaix in my opinion. Veloflex Criterium - Really fast and nice riding, punctured pretty easily though. Continental Sprinter Gatorskin - Very tough, I use them on my training wheels, ride like a garden hose though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Maybe you have a suggestion for me?

What would you recommend for cold (pre-winter) weather, i have not seen any studded road bike tires!

So what is the best options not to crash?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

For cold & wet weather I would go with either the Veloflex Roubaix or a Vittoria Pave. Both have very good grip in the wet, and have been fairly resistant to flats in my experience. The Veloflex is much more expensive though, it's not hard to find the Vittoria at about half the price of the Veloflex. So while I prefer the Veloflex, I use the Vittorias on my rain bike.

They do come up quite small though, I have the 27's and they measure up about 26mm. The Veloflex was the opposite, I had 25's which were about 26mm again.

Geoff

by Geoff

So many really good choices out there. Some day, I need to try the Veloflex, as everyone goes on about them. I have had good luck with FMB, Dugast, Vittoria and Continental, for different reasons. I think I like Dugast tires best, though.

mrgray

by mrgray

mine are the veloflex arenbergs i have on right now. very comfortable, great grip, and holding air very well too (for latex). plus all black which looks excellent.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

sawyer

by sawyer

Vittoria SC 23 and 25mm. Fast tyre with ok puncture resistance, great ride quality and grip but not a winter tyre by any stretch of the imagination

Never tried Veloflex or FMB on cost grounds though - will have to one day

For winter Conti Competition / Sprinter / Vittoria Pave. Sprinter is best value of the three IMO. Pave a bit more fragile
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

atakaoka

by atakaoka

I'm using Vittoria cx II and III 23mm.but I can get veloflex extreme 22 relatively cheap.
Will I feel any diferente among then?
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

jimborello

by jimborello

I have used Schwalbe One, Ultremos, Challenge criterium, Vittoria CX and Continentals, and I like Vittorias and Challenge way better than the rest even tough I was using them in 23 mm and the rest in 25mm. I will definitely try Veloflex next as everyone says they are amazing.

rngus231

by rngus231

Continental sprinter is my favorite. It is very affordable price and nice

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I have a pair of Vittora Corsa Seta silks on a pair of wheels that are so light and smooth...made in Italy too, not Thailand...

rainerhq

by rainerhq

campbellrae wrote:The Veloflex is much more expensive though, it's not hard to find the Vittoria at about half the price of the Veloflex.

Pave 50€
Roubaix 60€

http://www.bike-palast.com/en/Racebike/ ... ubulars/3/
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

ctantra

by ctantra

For me is Continental Competition 700c x 25, rolling fast and comfortable.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I like the competitions too. Had my first ride in 25mm gatorskin sprinter tubs as I previously used the 22mm version and what a difference. They don't feel fast but they are very comfortable and grippy surprisingly so. Far better riding on these than 25mm gatorskin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Summer: Vittoria Corsa SC 23mm
Winter: Vittoria Pave CG 27mm

Used to THINK that I liked Veloflex tires, but I just didn't get very far on any of them (Record, Carbon, Extreme).