What's your favorite tubular tire?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trilocus

by trilocus

schwalbe one 24 mm, nearly perfect

skiezo

by skiezo

I have been running a veloflex arenburg on the rear and a veloflex carbon on the front. The 25mm rear soaks up some of the rough road chatter and the 23mm front is just rock solid on descents and corners great and lasts a long time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mai

by mai

been through 25mm conti gatorskin and comp, finally got a pair of arenbergs to see what the buzz is all about. looking forward to riding them later this week :)

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I've had my share of experiences with tubular tires..

FMB Roubaix - Feels like you're riding on pillows, very well built but the tread wears faster than any tire I've ever ridden. Seriously! I didn't really puncture them, but had one with a valve leak which was repaired by tire alert (FL). I love the look and plump nature of the FMB tires, but they simply wear too fast for me.

Vittoria Corsa SC - Amzingly fast tires, mounted perfect and super easy. Not as plush as FMB/Veloflex and flat protection was suspect. I got 3 rides on them and rode home and slashed the sidewall on who knows what?!?! It flatted a block from my house. Vittora tires are nice in clincher, but far too fragile for daily riding in LA IMHO in tubular form...

Veloflex Roubaix - The best tire that I've ridden. I've ridden these tires off road, on road, up railroad grade climb in SF (Hardtail / Cross bike trail) and never flatted from a puncture. I keep looking online and reviewing other tires, but I know I should just stick with the Roubaix tire because it's never let me down. The new Vlaanderen does however look enticing with it's different tread design. Looks like a Conti Sprinter (diamond pattern) tread

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Since my Enve wheels are the older 1.45 Tubular rims (22mm wide), I'm considering running 23c tires. Veloflex 25c just give you that extra plush when you need to hit the rough stuff. Maybe it's only in my mind, but I feel smaller diameter tires slash easier than wider section tires. 60% of the time it works every time!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

junchen

by junchen

Tried veloflex carbon / extreme on one wheelset vs vittoria corsa evo cx 320 tpi on another wheelset.. Honestly I can't tell any difference between them. Hated the conti sprinters though.
For UK riders , planetx has some vittoria corsas on sale now. About 18 eur. 21mm though[emoji14]
Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I used to run Vittoria Corsa's, but the quality has gone down hill..so I switch to a Conti Force/Attack for awhile.

After that, I've been running Veloflex Carbon since. The front is still going strong like 1K+ miles of racing/training. It is actually getting dry rot cracks...it just won't pop and the tread still looks really great on it. I'm really surprised.

Just swapped the rear to a new Veloflex Carbon...really like these. The older ones BTW, I bought a bunch like 2yrs ago, and they have the Italian color flag on them. Great tire, satisfied with them and still have 2 left to burn.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Zigmeister wrote:I used to run Vittoria Corsa's, but the quality has gone down hill..so I switch to a Conti Force/Attack for awhile.

After that, I've been running Veloflex Carbon since. The front is still going strong like 1K+ miles of racing/training. It is actually getting dry rot cracks...it just won't pop and the tread still looks really great on it. I'm really surprised.

Just swapped the rear to a new Veloflex Carbon...really like these. The older ones BTW, I bought a bunch like 2yrs ago, and they have the Italian color flag on them. Great tire, satisfied with them and still have 2 left to burn.

+1 Really nice ride feel!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.