CX wheelsets questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slagter

by Slagter

My canti CX bike isn't giving me that brake performance, that I need. Thus I have decided, to replace my frame to a disc frame. This means I need a new wheelset or maybe two.

1) Spoke count for disc wheelsets. I've read that you need 28/28 spokes for discwheels. Is that the general consensus? Or would it be possible to go lower (do I need to go lower)? I'm 80-85 kg. I'm considering a carbon wheelset and probably also a alloy wheelset, both for tubular.

2) Which hubs are the best? I consider WI T11 being the best hubs for road, since they are durable, have a titanium body that doesn't gouge, they look good, and they are somewhat reasonably priced. I want something similar for a discwheelset.

3) If I wanted to go budget on hubs, what would be the best bang for buck. I like the Miche Primato Syntesi as my budget road hubs. They are cheap and durable and build into stiff wheels. Is there something similar for a disc build?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

3) I like the Shimano CX75. They're Ultegra level hubs, 28/28 only. Shimano hub seals are very good, and servicing the bearings is easy.

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

I second f45's recommendations

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I have a set of CX75's on a set of wheels I built up. They are good hubs, but they are HEAVY! The first thing you need to decide is what frame you are going to get. Remember that CX is moving toward the thru-axle standard, and the CX75 hubs are QR, only.

In terms of your other questions, for spokes, you'll be safe with a set of 28/28 wheels. You can probably get away with 24/24, but that's manufacturer dependent, and you may see more flex on those wheels than you like.

My recommendations for strong, adaptable budget hubs are the DT350 hubs. You can set them up to be either 135QR, 135 thru-axle, and even 142, if that's the standard on your bike. However, the first thing you need to do is get the bike.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

24 spokes disc brake wheels work just fine.use triple butted spokes if you can though. The wheels don't flex if you build a stiff wheel.

WI T 11 hubs are for rim brake. The m16 hubs are the disc brake offering but the bracing n goes are not the best.

Shimano cx 75 are very good hubs and so are novatec D771 and D772. Miche do the Syntium hub and DT Swiss make the 350 and 240.
The above are the best disc brake hubs with the 240 being the top of the pile. If you need thru axle compatibility then DT Swiss or novatec will,provide you with many options.

grover

by grover

I use DT 350 or 240 as the star ratchet freehub is reliable and the are easily adapted to all axle standards and freehub styles.

For slightly more budget but still excellent look at Hope hubs. They get good reports for reliability in wet conditions and have just released a disc 11 speed road version. They are also very easily switched between axle standards.

nickcube

by nickcube

+1 for hope hubs. Great price for what you get. Really durable hubs, spin really nicely and are just so modular, you can pretty much adapt to any new axle standard that gets thrown at you, not to mention that they are really easy to service. 28/28 should be good, I don't think i'd go lower at your weight

Slagter

by Slagter

Thank you all for your suggestions.

As FIJIGabe points out, first thing is the bike. I got me a new Giant TCX Advanced. And I bought a pair of 28h carbon rims at Farsports. The Giant has the odd combination of thru axle front and QR axle rear. Next step is to order hubs and spokes matching the 28 config.

The Shimano CX75 is a good suggestion for the rear hub. But I haven't quite found the budget front hub yet. Having only the options of 28h and thru axle for the front, I found only the DT Swiss straight pull hubs. Have I missed any obvious hubs compatible with thru axle and 28h?

Birdman

by Birdman

I think convertibility and versatility it's an important thing to consider. Especially with all the different rotor choices and axle standards.

DT Swiss 240 centerlock all the way!
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

Slagter

by Slagter

Thanks Birdman. But since 240s are way more expensive than 350, is there any reason not to pick 350s other than weight? AFAIK the internals are the same.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am riding 24 spoke disc brake wheels and they are fine. I weigh in about what you slaghter. However more choice in 28h drilling.

Miche do the syntium dx disc brake hub. 28h or 32h at present. 24h will be coming. Cheaper than dt swiss 350's but i cant see jow the dt hubs will do the job anh better. Novatec d771 and d772 hubs are veryy good too.
Both these hubs come with end caps for different standards.

Kinlin do the xr22t rkm disc brake form. Offset drilling 435g 24mm width and cheap. Whag not to like. Pair these rkms tl hhbs of your choice and yoj will have a wheelset that will give you smiles. No need to spend big money on hubs.

liam7020

by liam7020

bm0p700f wrote:24 spokes disc brake wheels work just fine.use triple butted spokes if you can though. The wheels don't flex if you build a stiff wheel.

WI T 11 hubs are for rim brake. The m16 hubs are the disc brake offering but the bracing n goes are not the best.

Shimano cx 75 are very good hubs and so are novatec D771 and D772. Miche do the Syntium hub and DT Swiss make the 350 and 240.
The above are the best disc brake hubs with the 240 being the top of the pile. If you need thru axle compatibility then DT Swiss or novatec will,provide you with many options.

Malcolm, how have you found the durability of the Novatec DB hubs for UK cross conditions?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Birdman

by Birdman

350 hubs are not as versatile as 240. I don't own 350s myself but based on some research a while back I decided to go 240 all the way for any future builds. Simply because how much more versatile they are.

I'm a bargain shopper myself, and I'm always on the hunt for a set of 240s at a good price on ebay (if that's your thing). I sometimes find sets of used 26er wheels with 240s hubs sold for less than $250.

Birdman

by Birdman

240s and 350 are not identical.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

I'm a fan of DT Swiss hubs, 240s for ultimate in weight and versatility. The 350s are convertible on the rear but not on the front (although there are ways around that). Also be aware that the older version of the 240 front hub is not convertible and often found cheap on ebay. WI CL hubs are also a really good option and are convertible and they come in different color options.

28/28 hole will build the most reliable wheel. You can get away with 24/24 depending on the stiffness of your rim and weight.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)