Sapim Laser on disc wheels, carbon rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickcube

by nickcube

Hi all!
I'm planning a wheel build soon for my cyclocross bike, it'll go:
Hubs: Hope Pro2 Evo 28h
Rims: Light Bicycle U-shape, 35mm, 28h
Spokes: Sapim Laser
Nipples: ?? whatever goes

I've seen that sapim recommend that you don't use the Lasers on disc wheel, I guess that's for stiffness reasons. I do however have a set of XC wheels with laser spokes, aluminum rim which works just fine for me. DT Revo's are the same dimensions apparently, so what problems would a wheel builder face when trying to lace these up? Would tension be the issue? wind-up? or would it be just fine to build up the wheels with them? (I'm 60kg if that makes a difference)
Open to any experience you guys have, I'm very much a noob at this, cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

With a stiff rim like that, 28 spokes, and only 60 kg, imo lasers will be fine. You'll have to take care to avoid windup but it is manageable. In fact, since you're ordering from Light Bicycle, you can order some Pillar 1420 spokes for like $1.60 each. They are the same weight as lasers but bladed so it's easy to grab them during the build.

At 69kg, my cx wheelset for the last two years has been xr200 rims in 20/24 laced to lasers. It is rim brake. I haven't had any problems related to the spokes.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Use laser in all my own personal disc brake wheels and they are fine. I am heavier as well. I even have a 24 spoke wheelset with cx rays which are the same as a laser in terms of stiffness.

nickcube

by nickcube

Good to hear! I was thinking about using pillar spokes but was wondering how I'd get my hands on them in Australia. If that's the case i might use the 1420's, I guess it'd help with wind up. How do I go about choosing spoke lengths? Is the DT calculator trusty enough to use?

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

I use the prowheelbuilder one and it's worked fine for years, just make sure you double check the hub dimensions they list as they are sometimes wrong/out of date.

F45

by F45

LB lists those hubs on their website. You could just ask them to send whatever length they would use. It would essentially be a complete build non assembled. Or they could lace it up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickcube

by nickcube

Even better! I thought they only dealt with novatec. I might end up getting it all through them