Zipp 303 Firecrest Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LenJ

by LenJ

It's threads like this that kept me away from buying Zipps. Carbon wheels are too expensive to risk reliability issues IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatbugger

by fatbugger

LenJ wrote:It's threads like this that kept me away from buying Zipps. Carbon wheels are too expensive to risk reliability issues IMO

Thanks for the post. However, I don't think that adds any value to the discussion here. Though I agree with you that carbon wheels are a big investment. I did a ton of research when I was looking to upgrade from the stock wheels that came with the bike (some heavy mavic aksioms). I looked at a bunch of wide profile custom built clinchers, HED ardennes SL plus, Zipp 303s, Campy Bora One 35 and Bora One 50 clinchers. My first pick was a set custom built clinchers with HED Belgium plus rims (25mm wide rims), CK R45 hubs laced with CX ray spokes. Honestly, the deal I got from my LBS on the demo Zipp wheels was only 150 bucks more expensive than the best quote I got from a wheelbuilder. Given this margin, it made sense to me to go for the Zipps 303 firecrest clinchers. Looking back, if I wouldnt have had the hubs fixed by Zipp under warranty, it would have been a really bad decision. However, right now I don't regret it as much.

Though I am still looking to source the rims and hubs for the custom build I mentioned above. I would like to learn how to build wheels and make this a project of my own. A friend of mine has a truing stand available and he is happy to lend it to me. If only I could find a good resource for learning how to build wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cep111

by cep111

The Zipp 88/188 hubs are some of my very favorites for design and build quality. Great support from them as well. One of the best.

fatbugger

by fatbugger

cep111 wrote:The Zipp 88/188 hubs are some of my very favorites for design and build quality. Great support from them as well. One of the best.

Are you serious? This is the first time I have heard someone say that Zipp 88/188 hubs are their favorites. I can't help but think this is a sarcastic remark.