New Zipp freehub design, "Axial Clutch Technology"

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

F45

by F45

Looks interesting. How does it work?

Image credit, Bikerumor

Sound at 1:05 in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUdC3mrHcc8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euph

by euph

I watched that video yesterday and thought "what on earth is he talking about. They don't sound amazing. They sound well....silent?"

Either way they look interesting. :lol:

ichobi

by ichobi

I hope they get it right this time, because i hate to see 'a new improved hub' from them next year (Again). Kind of saying that their previous hub sucks and need improvement annually.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

^ +1, it scares me too that every year the hubs are improved. Anyway, I'm surprised that this came out at a time when people still haven't got over the sticker shock of the Firestrike. And for all the fancy things they say about the dimples, Paul Lew denies that they do anything useful at all in aerodynamic terms.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Paul Lew runs a competing company, which cannot use dimpled technology without paying Zipp to license the technology. His opinion on a competitor's product has limited merit (not to mention the significant amount of research done on the issue, which has demonstrated that dimples improve aerodynamics).

It doesn't scare me one bit that they're changing their hub design. First of all, it shows they're improving areas where they are dissatisfied or are receiving complaints. At least they're taking our complaints and acting on them (rather than flip us the bird). Second, this isn't an evolution of their current hub designs. These wheels aren't even an evolution of the current design. It's clearly a design program to maximize aerodynamics and improve on other areas (brakes, hubs, etc). Some of this technology may trickle down to the more pedestrian wheels (303's, 404's, etc), while some may stay as a "halo" feature. Think of this as the 7 Series of wheels. Some features will work their way down to the 5 Series and even the 3, while others will stay firmly in the 7 Series family.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It might work in a similar way to DT Swiss freehubs.

kgt

by kgt

I am sure a new, much 'improved' hub, will show up in a couple of years.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

why dont they just get dt swiss or Miche to make them a hub.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

kgt wrote:I am sure a new, much 'improved' hub, will show up in a couple of years.

Nope, I'm sure it happen next year.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

FIJIGabe wrote:Paul Lew runs a competing company, which cannot use dimpled technology without paying Zipp to license the technology.

Just thinking off the top of my head, but I believe the "dimple technology" patent by ZIPP is almost expired... or recently expired.

EDIT: It's almost up.
http://www.google.com/patents/US7114785
14 years + 2003 = 2017

in 2017 SHIT HITS THE FAN FOR DIMPLES EVERYWHERE!!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

F45

by F45

They usually do that with pairs offset to double the number of engagement points and cut in half the dead space when you start to pedal.

F45

by F45

That is a pretty nice write up.

It looks like the Zipp design is a hybrid of the King and DT, a ratchet system with the teeth at 45 degrees to the rotation. It looks like the little white nubs are the springs, and they are only on one side. I'd like to get my grubby little hands on one. It looks less durable than other designs.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

FIJIGabe wrote:Paul Lew runs a competing company, which cannot use dimpled technology without paying Zipp to license the technology. His opinion on a competitor's product has limited merit (not to mention the significant amount of research done on the issue, which has demonstrated that dimples improve aerodynamics).

It doesn't scare me one bit that they're changing their hub design. First of all, it shows they're improving areas where they are dissatisfied or are receiving complaints. At least they're taking our complaints and acting on them (rather than flip us the bird). Second, this isn't an evolution of their current hub designs. These wheels aren't even an evolution of the current design. It's clearly a design program to maximize aerodynamics and improve on other areas (brakes, hubs, etc). Some of this technology may trickle down to the more pedestrian wheels (303's, 404's, etc), while some may stay as a "halo" feature. Think of this as the 7 Series of wheels. Some features will work their way down to the 5 Series and even the 3, while others will stay firmly in the 7 Series family.

There are several claims from Paul Lew that these dimples does zero for aerodynamics. Regarding the hubs, i called a dealer and talked of both Enve and Zipp. After a while he told me about 10-15% of the 2015 Zipp wheels sold, developed play. They took wheels back and did what they could, but all these wheels started to develop play again. So they were exchanged.

Routing back to dimples and patent, it's funny because Reynolds have news coming 2017. If it would come a line of wheels with something even close to dimples, i would really be amazed. Talking dimples and dirt, i think these cavities seem very prone to collect dirt. Must be super important to keep them clean or it seems the possible gains, could actually be the opposite!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

F45 wrote:Sound at 1:05 in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUdC3mrHcc8
Interesting review. And what sound? I barely heard anything. Anyway, I'm sure that next year we'll see these wheels on plenty of bikes, especially triathlon bikes.

That video also reminds me of when i did a 4 hour low intensity test (63-68% of HRmax) around the same average speed, only on my Giant TCR LTD with Mavic Ksyrium wheels, a bike that wasn't aero at all. I wonder what the difference would've been with today's bike technology. :D
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira