Which tubular rims for track?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

I'm gonna start riding on the track this winter. Gonna build some tubulars for that.

I don't think om gonna do TTs on the track, it will mainly be all-round disciplines. Nothing in particular.

I'm thinking 60 mm deep and 25 mm wide, U-shaped.

Anyone with experience from the track?

1) How deep would you go?

2) Which spokeconfig would you choose? 20/24?

EDIT: This topic should have been in the wheels section. Admin; would you mind moving it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

The answer is a bit complicated.

1. It isn't just about profile. A tall profile rim can flex sideways a fair bit and not feel all that stable on the track -- it doesn't affect some rims but others are pretty bad.

2. There's a common belief that there's no crosswind on the track. Until the first time one rides it. Track can be very squirrelly with deep section rims, so you may want to try out some shallower and deeper rims just to get a sense of what it's like. If you join a track team, you can borrow wheels to get a sense of how they ride.

3. A disc wheel in the rear is more beneficial than a spoked one. Not only is it more aero, but even more importantly, it's more rigid and laterally stable. I'd suggest you consider a disc for the rear. If you have the budget, there's nothing like a Mavic Comete for the rear. Spend less on the front for now -- I know the front needs an aero wheel but when you're starting out you don't need to spend ridiculously on equipment -- but a rear lenticular disc like the Comete is in a league of its own. There's a reason why it's almost the ubiquitous wheel on the track.

4. If you're very light and you ride only endurance events, maybe a 20/24 lacing is acceptable. But until you know what events you're good in, consider more durable wheels. They will always be good training wheels when you've upgraded to better race wheels.

5. Consider something a little less expensive and bling to start with. For example, a tubular Hed Belgium rim makes a very nice, very durable track wheel. You don't really have a reference point for how a wheel feels son the track yet, and it's different from road. You need some experience before you start dropping a lot of money on track wheels. And if you buy bling track wheels, you should have bling tires on them, and bling track tires are quite fragile and short lived.

6. Generally, track is less equipment crazy than road is. If you aren't winning regularly on whatever alloy wheels you have, don't go worrying about fancy deep-section carbon yet. If you ride fancy wheels, you better win a lot or you'll get a lot of ribbing on the infield. It's pretentious.

7. Don't rule out clinchers on the track. I currently have a superb pair of training and spare racing wheels built with 23 mm Hed Belgium clincher rims (available in a non-machined sidewall finish so they look really sharp as track wheels) and equipped with 22 mm Veloflex Record clinchers. Those tires stick to any kind of banking, they're very light, and they are durable enough to train and race all season. Going with wider rims avoids sideways wobble in the clincher casing that plagues narrow rims. These wheels are rock solid and much less expensive to maintain. I've only seen one puncture among a dozen riders using this setup on the track, and it was gradual. Your tubular pressures on most tracks will be around 140 for training, perhaps 160 for racing or for individual events. Your pressures for this Veloflex Record clincher setup should be about 120. They do a great job, they're much cheaper, much easier to maintain, and have better resale. Clinchers used to be crappy on the track, but no longer.

ethanfiamingo

by ethanfiamingo

I have a cat 2 guy riding some Reynolds 45mm tubis to phil hubs 18f 20r @155lbs and says they are so solid he wouldnt change to anything else. Its not the lightest wheelset at 1350g but he is more than confident going into the turns at 45kmh

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

a robust front wheel and some flavor of cheap used disc in back is a great way to go for track.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com