What is the deepest options i should consider?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Enve 3.4 Tubs (the only set you'll ever need, along with an Alu Clincher for winter) Possibly the 4.5s if you live in flatlands.
Perhaps not the lightest set out there, but man do they roll well, are bombproof built and versatile.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yes, a medium depth wheel which is light is something i guess most benefit from. Personally, i'd rather use Stream 38 which is an easy 300 grams lighter than Enve 3.4.

Enve 4.5 is 48/56mm in rim depth, Easton Aero 55 is about 56mm front and rear and about same weight as 4.5.

The width of the rims is widest at market now, but it's absolutely zero problems with clearance at both my bikes.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

You'll have no problem with a 60mm wheel. I am 59-60kg and have no problem with modern 'toroidal' wheels of that depth (and deeper in the rear) in 20+knot winds.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I note that the benefit of the deeper rim is if it's flat and i maintain speed. If it's just slight up or more rise, the lighter wheels are easier to spin up to speed.

Riding where it's much braking and acceleration, deep wheels are not the best option. I think you burn more energi using them.

For most occasions, i would deem the lighter Stream 38 wheels as the best wheel. It's a whip. Easton EC90 Aero 55 tub is lighter than 2016 Zipp 404 tub.

But no question you will feel the weight comparing a deep wheel over the light Stream 38. I would say the deeper wheels works if we have the fit and ride where it's

full speed ahead and not hills.

Mixed terrain, i don't care for the math of aero wheels. They are more niche and not at all as all-around.

I was all fire over deep wheels but i think it should be the honesty over the illusion when it comes to this.

I even have lighter tires on the deeper wheels. But it doesn't matter. I don't say Easton is a bad wheel, i really like it.

But i need to be honest of the difference.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

jeffy

by jeffy

wheelsONfire - how are the AX 38 for stiffness? Any differences with your other sets. For some reason (probably the lightness) i would have preconceptions that they were a bit flexy. Am i wrong??

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have no problems with them, such as flex or brake rub. I don't know if strong sprinters would have!?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)