Vittoria Graphene Plus tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

bm0p700f wrote:If I spend my time worrying about those small handful of watts I am first of kidding myself that there are not bigger gains to be had else where and secondly I am forgetting why I ride and compete - because I enjoy it regardless of how fast I happen to be.

Not trying to single you out mate - and not as if these are not valid points.

Only part of the marketing for these new tyres is "fastest road tyre ever". Which is what I was specifically looking to get some handle on. Vittoria recognise that some riders do like making marginal gains with their tyres and appear to be pushing these Graphene Plus towards that market. It's fine if it's not you and you feel these tyres don't represent a 'marginal gain'. But that's not the crux of the issue at hand.

As for their grip, certainly the best I've had from a Vittoria tyre. I cannot doubt that. And that's a certain gain if cornering is part of the game come race day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Improved grip is certainly a GOOD thing, especially when it comes to Vittoria. So many of us have horror stories regarding the old CX!

I have long used them as my race-day tires, and in fact SR's are what I have glued up now. Frankly, I'd use them everyday except I've found they cut easily, and therefore my training hoops wear something a bit more robust, especially in my current environs.

I think we all appreciate the information and review. I look forward to getting some and giving them a go.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

mavic1010

by mavic1010

Anyone know the release date in the states for these?

rmerka

by rmerka

The Corsas (clinchers) are available in the US, haven't seen the Corsa Speed or the TLR or any tubulars.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I used Open Corsa CX's on my training wheels for awhile and haven't got many if any cuts on them? I'm put off by the lack of file tread which I traditionally love, why I tend to lean towards Veloflex...

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Tinea Pedis wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:If I spend my time worrying about those small handful of watts I am first of kidding myself that there are not bigger gains to be had else where and secondly I am forgetting why I ride and compete - because I enjoy it regardless of how fast I happen to be.

Not trying to single you out mate - and not as if these are not valid points.

Only part of the marketing for these new tyres is "fastest road tyre ever". Which is what I was specifically looking to get some handle on. Vittoria recognise that some riders do like making marginal gains with their tyres and appear to be pushing these Graphene Plus towards that market. It's fine if it's not you and you feel these tyres don't represent a 'marginal gain'. But that's not the crux of the issue at hand.

As for their grip, certainly the best I've had from a Vittoria tyre. I cannot doubt that. And that's a certain gain if cornering is part of the game come race day.

Judging by the weights quoted in your review these were not the Corsa Speed but the regular Corsa, so not the "fastest road tyres ever".

According to Vittoria there is a full black version in the works but it isn't due out until April 2016 at the earliest.

boysa

by boysa

Depends on road conditions, I'd say. I used the CX, the SC, and then the SR in my last location with no real issue, both tubular and clincher. Where I'm currently riding, however, is a COMPLETELY different story. Within a week the open SR's I had looked like Edward Scissorhands had a go at them.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Companies will always make bold claims about there products. Vittoria are not going to say it is the 3rd fastest tyre ever are they who would want that.

So you choose your tyres based on your experience not a Crr test. Fo me grip wins every time. Going faster round the corner and we have a lot of those in the U.K can save alot of seconds in a race more than having the "fastest" tyre in a test I would wager.

I am waiting for the tubeless Corsa Speed.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

ultimobici wrote:Judging by the weights quoted in your review these were not the Corsa Speed but the regular Corsa, so not the "fastest road tyres ever".

According to Vittoria there is a full black version in the works but it isn't due out until April 2016 at the earliest.

Where did you get your weights? This link (and as mentioned in the piece)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vittori ... yre-range/

suggests it was the Corsa Speed.

And like bm0p700f said, companies make bold claims. The "fastest road tyres ever" line comes from their email - to me - when the tyres were sent on their way for my thoughts. Not my words.

Marin

by Marin

I thought I had posted this in here but can't find it so apologies if you have already seen it:

Corsa Speed could be fast: http://cyclesetforme.blogspot.be/2015/1 ... toria.html

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Vittoria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

HillRPete wrote:I don't get the relevance of roller testing. On a steel drum, a steel wheel will be the fastest. That's railroad for you, minimal hysteresis losses. But Dunlop figured out back in the day, that suspension losses count for something, and that's why a steel wheel is not the fastest on an actual road. Based on that premise, I don't think you can claim that a fast tyre on the roller will also be fast on the road, or that the ranking of tyres will be the same on rollers vs real world.

The roller test measures the hysteresis loss from flexing the tire casing. Suspension losses are indeed another factor, but in the few meticulous field tests I'm aware of, the "real world" loss has scaled the same as the roller testing.
formerly rruff...

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Marin wrote:Corsa Speed could be fast: http://cyclesetforme.blogspot.be/2015/1 ... toria.html

They never test the Supersonic, though...
formerly rruff...

spookyload

by spookyload

istigatrice wrote: if we used the null hypothesis that the vittoria tyres are not the fastest tyre ever, the results do not have enough statistical significance to reject the null hypothesis.

A null hypothesis represents something where there is no difference between the groups. What you suggest is the alternate hypothesis. The null hypothesis would suggest the Vittoria tires are the same speed as the others. Sorry, I am in the finishing moments of my Masters and just finished the research methodology and statistics class. And now back on topic //cool story bro (to me).

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Appreciate you clearing that up spooky - I didn't have the energy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com