Aborted glue job.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

So, gluing up my first tub... I follow all the steps with numerous layers... I mount the tub this afternoon, but realise I've screwed up and it is off centre, and I've broken the bond trying the centre it. Took the pave tub off the Rim. So plenty of glue on the tub, bits left on the Rim. What do I do now????

Was thinking another layer on the Rim, another layer on the tub and try mounting again later?

Thanks!

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

bits of glue are not an issue, but that rim looks like most of the glue came off leaving it bare, which suggests the rim was really not clean enough - on my cf rims the glue stays put

on a new rim there can be traces of release agent from manufacture

to be sure of a good bond i'd remove the remaining glue, then give the rim a clean before gluing again

use white spirit, white gas, petrol etc. to remove the glue - best done outside with no sources of ignition nearby

then use a very fine steel wool, 0000 grade, to go over the surface, the purpose is not to roughen it, just to mechanically remove any tenacious release agent

give another wipe with white spirit, then use a clean paper towel and a solvent (acetone, isopropyl alchohol etc.) to do a final degrease

then glue it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

sungod wrote:bits of glue are not an issue, but that rim looks like most of the glue came off leaving it bare, which suggests the rim was really not clean enough - on my cf rims the glue stays put

on a new rim there can be traces of release agent from manufacture

to be sure of a good bond i'd remove the remaining glue, then give the rim a clean before gluing again

use white spirit, white gas, petrol etc. to remove the glue - best done outside with no sources of ignition nearby

then use a very fine steel wool, 0000 grade, to go over the surface, the purpose is not to roughen it, just to mechanically remove any tenacious release agent

give another wipe with white spirit, then use a clean paper towel and a solvent (acetone, isopropyl alchohol etc.) to do a final degrease

then glue it!

Cheers sun God. I did clean the rim, however maybe the glue pulled away as I had had the tub on for around 40mins before ripping it off?

yz387

by yz387

I am not sure that is a sign of the rim not being clean enough. I had the same result when I had to pull the tire off right after mounting when I realized I had forgotten the valve extender. :oops:

In my opinion, I would clean the remaining glue off the rim and start over.

sungod

by sungod

which glue?

with mastik one i've *never* had the glue detach fron the rim like that, usually it pulls off the basetape coating if it was a new veloflex or 'splits' within the glue layers

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

sungod wrote:which glue?

with mastik one i've *never* had the glue detach fron the rim like that, usually it pulls off the basetape coating if it was a new veloflex or 'splits' within the glue layers

Mastik One, Vittoria Pave 25 tubs :)

sawyer

by sawyer

Another layer on each and get them back on

There is no problem there

tbh you could put two more layers on that rim, but it will adhere fine with one I'm sure
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

sawyer wrote:Another layer on each and get them back on

There is no problem there

tbh you could put two more layers on that rim, but it will adhere fine with one I'm sure

This is what I did. Curing now.. Cannot wait to ride these bad boys.

yz387

by yz387

This happened to me with mastik one as well. I agree that I have never seen it happen when pulling off a tire which was allowed to properly cure, but when pulling off a tire right after mounting, the glue detached from the rim.

continuum

by continuum

Is glue better than tape? I've never used tubular glue myself.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

continuum wrote:Is glue better than tape? I've never used tubular glue myself.

This is my first set of tubs. From what I've heard, I don't trust tape!

sawyer

by sawyer

Tape correctly applied is entirely trustworthy

My problem with it is the residue it leaves and the tendency to noisy air bubbles

But it holds tyres on very very well
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

zappafile123

by zappafile123

So I take it that if you couldnt centre the tire during installation, there was wet glue on either the rim or the tire before you tried to mount the tire? Trying to do that is a messy, bad idea IMO.

Apply all the layers of glue to the rim and maybe a couple to the tire. Let the rim and tire dry completely. Mount the tire, then lift sections of the tire one at a time and apply the final layer of wet glue section by section. Way less messy and the tire will be position perfectly every time.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Thanks for the tip. Will try next time!