Lightweight alloy wheelset build 1200gm>

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dzmlyk

by dzmlyk

Multebear wrote:
Boston wrote:Looking to build alloy wheelset sub 1200gm.

Anyone know any lighweight rims,hubs,spokes and nipples.

cheers

Impossible to answer, if you're not going to share some info about yourself. Most importantly your weight. If you're 120 kg, then I would say, it can't be done.

Next thing, that made me curious is: Apparently you're looking for advice and rims, hubs, spokes and even nipples. Is that because you don't know a single lightweight component? And more importantly: How did you end up with the number 1.200? Why not 1.100 or 1.300? Is there some kind of logic or magic behind the number 1.200?

And what is your intended use? Are you going to climb La Marmotte? Or are these for commuting, solo training, group rides, sportives or Cat 1 races?

And this is why there are so few active people on your message boards. It was a very straight forward and simple question. You don't need to know the intended use or any rider info to answer it. The OP may get bad advice without this information but there is no reason to be so short about it. Plenty of people have already posted info about possible builds.

BhSimon

by BhSimon

xena wrote:I ride, Kinlin XR200, Dati SL hubs and Sapim Super Spokes 20 x 24, 1180 g.

By my calculations, that wheelset is not 1180g. Did you actually weight them?

Rims: 390 g x 2 = 780 g
Dati SL Front: 66 g = 66 g
Dati SL Rear: 191 g = 191 g
Superspokes: 3.94 g x 44 = 173.36 g
Nipples front: 0.38 g x 44 = 16.72 g
Spoke hole covers: 0.15 g x 44 = 6.60 g
Total = 1233 g

Technically, not below the OP’s original, arbitrary, <1200g limit.

Not trying to say that it isn't a great wheelset or anything like that—1233g is still super light in my books—just curious where the extra 50g was saved?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

dzmlyk wrote:
And this is why there are so few active people on your message boards. It was a very straight forward and simple question. You don't need to know the intended use or any rider info to answer it. The OP may get bad advice without this information but there is no reason to be so short about it. Plenty of people have already posted info about possible builds.

Sub 1200 with alloy clinchers, is nearly impossible and it definitely doesn't make much sense. If you want to go really light, you just buy a pair of AX lightness wheels or something similar.

But if there is a really good reason for this build, then so be it. I think most people would be curious to know that reason. But if OP really was serious, he would have done just a little bit of research himself before posting. And if he'd done that, he would have found this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=133911&hilit=1200

Now this guy did some research before posting, even posted a link. He asked about durability which clearly is the issue here. This guy did it right.

dzmlyk

by dzmlyk

[/quote]

Sub 1200 with alloy clinchers, is nearly impossible and it definitely doesn't make much sense. If you want to go really light, you just buy a pair of AX lightness wheels or something similar.

[/quote]

100% agree. A light alloy rim will not be very rigid so I would suggest a higher spoke count at the minimum. There is a reason that you never saw a Mavic GEL280 rim with less than 28 spokes.

cveks

by cveks

xena wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:50 pm
I ride, kinlin xr200 ,dati sl hubs and sapim super spokes 20 x24 ,,1180grms . I am around 80 kgms right now and these have been fine for quite a while . They needed a true after a pot hole but so does any wheel if you hit it hard enough.

I have a set of stans , AC hubs and revo spokes 1182 grms, again very good no issues. I'm going to change the spokes to the sapim super spokes and drop around 30 grms or so.

I prefer the kinlin rims , very easy to mount tyres [ Veloflex masters] .
I recently bought Kinlin XR200 rims with campagnolo freehubs for my Colnago C60 bike . I mainly want to use it on long journeys and as mountain climbing bike. I know there is lighter frames there but I like his comfort and look. My weight is 86 kg . Is that ok for this wheelset?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Those rims are very flexy, and most lightweight alloy wheels are.

If you are a 50kg rider you might be able to run a weenie configuration successfully. They would be good for climb portion of your ride (as long as you stay seated) and nothing else.

If you still decide to proceed you'll pay a lot of money and get poor performance. It's like swapping your crankarms for springs.

Another reason they will be slow is because they are so narrow. On the flats and descents people with wider rims will just coast past while you're putting out power.

Get at least a 24-25mm wide rim, and preferably not box shaped.

I have a set of these wheels and I could use them for bad weather training or on the indoor trainer. Certainly not for shaving seconds off in a race or strava segment.