Light to extralight hub durabilty

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AZR3

by AZR3

Awesome update, I've been toying with building a set of the new enve 2.2 clinchers with the Extralite Cyber SP hubs

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I am working through a number of things to find and eliminate the creak.

It is raining today, so I have not been able to test my first experiment on the road yet.

Gimme a few days to figure it out, and I will update this thread with my own personal finding with the Extralite CyberRear SP (which will purely anecdotal and not necessarily the case with all CyberRear SP hubs, of course.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Update

Extralite CyberRear SP

Fixed the creak (see the other thread I made about that).

Now that this thing runs silent, and I have put in some more kms on it, here is my extended feedback.

-Really really nice hub. Recommended for sure.
-NDS spokes hold their tension and true very well. Have not had to touch it since building it, despite going in HARD on it. They have really thought about the angles and spacing of the flanges and spokes on this. It is truly excellent.
-Spins forever. The preload system, which is great to use, lets you dial the bearing load incredibly accurately.
-Rode it in the rain. Nothing bad happened and it still spins ultra fast, smooth and grit free.
-Freewheel sound is what I would describe as, 'mature'. Not as hardcore in your face as Tune, but you can definitely hear it. Seems to whir, rather than buzz, if that makes sense.
-Light as *f##k*.
-I have put some very heavy climbing and sprints through this thing, as well as hammering it around like a madman, and it seems to enjoy the abuse.

So yeah, I am very impressed with this hub, and would definitely recommend it.

Building it is interesting too, aside from the fact that you have to take the thing apart to get the spokes in, the drive and non drive tensions seem really inter-related, compared to other hubs I have built up; changing the tension on the NDS has a direct and significant effect on the DS. This means that you can't just dial the DS up to near target, then pull in true with the NDS spokes, like you can with other hubs; you have to keep going round the wheel and going back and forth between the DS and NDS loads of times, until everything is perfect. Requires a delicate and detailed touch, which took me a couple of minutes to shift my technique over to. Once you get it all true though, it stays there really well and feels perfect to ride.