November Bicycle hubs, is this news? (white ind)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

Looks uncannily like the ancient LTA rear rear hub.

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

They're an OEM hub that WI now makes for companies who don't want the White logo on their wheels. Functionally identical to a T11, from what I recall.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

FreaK

by FreaK

Iiiiinteresting.
I like that they haven't succumbed to the idea of the aluminium freehub body even in this application. They remain a pretty righteous hub maker IMO.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I was going to buy a set of November wheels, then I learned that they're just lacing American made hubs onto Taiwanese Carbon rims.

Too many nightmare stories of China made rims from random factories for me. I'm sticking to Reynolds/Enve/Zipp/Bontrager for my carbon goods.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

boysa

by boysa

Chinese and Taiwanese are not the same thing.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

aaric

by aaric

Its also a different thing when you've got somebody stateside warranting them. Better QC to say the least ;-)

F45

by F45

They're also comparatively inexpensive. It's not like they're charging Zipp prices for their wheels, and you get much better hubs than Zipp V. N+1 hubs.

skiezo

by skiezo

I have a set of alloy wheels with these hubs. They run smooth and are serviceable.
IMHO they make a great alloy at a good price.

FreaK

by FreaK

I imagine a huge savings is made by tumbling instead of the usual labour intensive high polish.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

I just received my November Alloy Nimbus Ti wheel set. They let me know the WI-November hubs were out of stock, and therefore I received black WI T11s instead. They came well packaged, well built, and ride wonderfully.

Compared to my Enve 45s/Alchemy Elf/Orc the Nov are similar in stiffness, have a bit more weight, less aero, but more width and therefore more tire contact.

Compared to my Kinlin XR300/older WI the Nov are worlds stiffer, less weight, a little less aero, much more tire contact, and tons more fun to ride.

Multebear

by Multebear

^which rims did you choose?

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

Hi All,

Our hubs are functionally the same as White Industries T11, as the disc version is the functional equivalent of a White Industries CLD. They share all of the exact same internal parts with their White Industries-labeled equivalents. Same bearings, same axles, same cassette body, same thrust washer, same pawls and springs, same pre-load collar - you get the point. We absolutely wanted the White Industries stamp on them, since the bike industry has so unfortunately done a good job of making skeptics out of people. Flange geometry is the same on our hubs as it is on the WI equivalents, so same spoke lengths are used, and same relative tension and stiffness value are achieved with both hubs.

The finish is anodized, same as with standard colored T11s or CLDs. I'm far from the world's greatest photographer (that's my pic at the top of the thread) so maybe they look like they have a different finish than they do. The graphics on ours are laser etched rather than machined in.

The overwhelming majority of the cost savings is purely in our logistics. Actual product cost (to us) is quite similar to T11/CLD, but unlike with those hubs, we are able to build stock without having to see what color hubs we'll be building with. We get big boxes of the hubs and set to work building. There are still a lot of options you can choose (there are 5 or 6 rims on which "standard" builds are built, and a slew of spoke counts available as standard), but the logistics allow lower shipping costs, less time spent ordering and tracking shipments, way less "oh my god where's that green hub??" type stuff, fewer "dude, where's my wheels" emails to handle, and allow us to get wheels on their way to customers more quickly.

We beat our heads against the rock of trying to find something with better product attributes than you find on the standard Asian-OEM hubs, with less cost than the boutique hubs of the world. The age old conundrum of wanting a product more like "this" at a price more like "that." As it turned out, the answer wasn't nearly so much in cost engineering the product as it was in logistics engineering. Which, whatever, the net result is the same - a hub I'd choose over any other on the market, at a very sane price.

Since tsutaoka has a screen name which makes it easy to connect the dots to who he is, and he just sent a nice note saying how much he likes his wheels, I can answer that he got Pacenti SL23 rims, 2015 version.

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

Multebear wrote:^which rims did you choose?

I chose the Pacenti SL23s. Once you go wide, you might not go back :-)

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

NovemberDave wrote: Since tsutaoka has a screen name which makes it easy to connect the dots to who he is, and he just sent a nice note saying how much he likes his wheels, I can answer that he got Pacenti SL23 rims, 2015 version.

Thanks Dave. I just read through your note after I responded. Great build. Great Price.

I was joking with another local racer, these are the first wheelset I didn't get a bro deal on. :-o

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com