Bora ultra 35 or ultra 50?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jperkins17

by Jperkins17

Hello,

Soo ive been looking to upgrade my wheels for a while now and after looking and reading on here ive decided to go for bora ultra's but i cant decide on wheater to go for the 35s or the 50s any help and advice please?

Cheers jack

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I don't see really see the point of the 35s as the 50s are barely any heavier and still very stable and look way better in my opinion. I have been running a set of 50s for a month now and love them. Crosswinds are noticeable but no problems, rode on Sunday and it was a steady 20 mph wind with some 30-40 mph gusts and no issue really, a couple wobbled me slightly but it did not bother me at all and I'm not big at 5'6 and 130lbs. They are pretty much the same weight as my Shamals so not super light but certainly not heavy and obviously much more aero. Climbing felt good, certainly as good as any lightweight aluminium rims I've used
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

sawyer

by sawyer

cmcdonnell wrote:I don't see really see the point of the 35s as the 50s are barely any heavier and still very stable and look way better in my opinion. I have been running a set of 50s for a month now and love them. Crosswinds are noticeable but no problems, rode on Sunday and it was a steady 20 mph wind with some 30-40 mph gusts and no issue really, a couple wobbled me slightly but it did not bother me at all and I'm not big at 5'6 and 130lbs. They are pretty much the same weight as my Shamals so not super light but certainly not heavy and obviously much more aero. Climbing felt good, certainly as good as any lightweight aluminium rims I've used

It's a call between more agile / nimble feeling, lighter weight, and slightly better in crosswinds versus a few watts saved at speed
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fogman

by fogman

Are you thinking about getting the clincher or tubular version? I have the Bora One 50 in tubular and the Bora One 35 in clincher.

I would say the 35 is more of a climbing wheel whereas the 50 is better on flat or rolling terrain.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

mimason

by mimason

While I vote that every rider should have no less than 3-4 sets of wheels if you can only have one then I'd choose 35s if I road more solo rides or was not trying to save watts. For the coffee runs, tempo group rides etc 35s will just be a nicer ride, better handling as sawyer stated. If you like to hammer and find yourself at your limits then I think shaving a few grams makes sense for the 50s. Aesthetically, the 50s look a lot better so lean toward the 50s if you still can't decide.

dogma85

by dogma85

Get 80s! I was in same position choosing between 35 and 50, then I went to the shop and got 80s. They are faaaaaast and look awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

mimason wrote:While I vote that every rider should have no less than 3-4 sets of wheels if you can only have one then I'd choose 35s if I road more solo rides or was not trying to save watts. For the coffee runs, tempo group rides etc 35s will just be a nicer ride, better handling as sawyer stated. If you like to hammer and find yourself at your limits then I think shaving a few grams makes sense for the 50s. Aesthetically, the 50s look a lot better so lean toward the 50s if you still can't decide.

I'd agree that 3-4 sets is a good idea but for me I felt that the 50s made sense as I already had a decent set of aluminium wheels in the Shamal Ultras so I wanted to feel a big difference when I spent such a chunk of money on the Boras so I went 50s. the Point I was making is that all my concerns about the 50 with weight and stability were unfounded so I was very happy with my choice. I also find them more comfortable than my Shamals which surprised me. To be fair I have never ridden the 35s so I can't comment on how nimble they feel though.

mimason

by mimason

^ I have 24s, 32s and 65s and almost exclusively ride the 65s. I'd get the 50s too but that suits my riding style best...and looks the best too but the 32s and 24s offer superior handling and comfort, the 65s are all business.

Jperkins17

by Jperkins17

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replys! I was going to go for tubular version.. I know this question is going to sound a little silly but how good are the 50s in windy conditions? I know the 35s will obv be better but is i do like to both climb hills and hammer it on flats just wanted peoples experences on the 50s as i want to make the right choice.

Cheers
Jack

mimason

by mimason

how much do you weigh?

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

No problems with the 50s in windy conditions at all and I weigh 130lbs.

Jperkins17

by Jperkins17

I weigh 150 pounds and 5 ft 7

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What's the weight of the rims of the U50 Tubular?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Timujin

by Timujin

dogma85 wrote:Get 80s! I was in same position choosing between 35 and 50, then I went to the shop and got 80s. They are faaaaaast and look awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i love this reply!!! 35, 50.. no i went 80 hahahaha

can you post a pic please of your ride?

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

Anybody run a 35 up front and 50 rear?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com