Bora 2014 vs 2015 EDIT: Tubular gods, I thank you!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beatle

by beatle

Any differences for the 2015 version? This will be my first foray into tubulars.

Thanks!
Last edited by beatle on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beatle

by beatle

beatle

by beatle

Well, the deal I am looking at is for the 2015, so my question is moot.

BUT, now my LBS who I have talked with about tubulars is offering a deal on Easton Aero 55 tubular, a little bit heavier than the Boras and a little bit more $.

Would any of you pic the Eastons over the Boras?

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Did you really compare an Easton wheel set to Campy Bora one tubulars? Hahahaha
Easton hubs are pure garbage compared to Bora wheels. The Bora ultras have the upgraded carbon hubs, but even the standard Boras are levels above any Easton wheel set. The eastons even cost more. No brainier. CAMPY BORA!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

sawyer

by sawyer

No I wouldn't take the Eastons over Boras

I would take the Boras over the Eastons

Get 2015 Boras if you can. They are a bit better - not night and day by any means. They will also be worth much more secondhand FWIW
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

beatle

by beatle

Thanks guys. Still searching to see if I can find something used.

beatle

by beatle

Well the tubular gods have smiled upon me and brought me a better deal afterall:

I found a barely used set of Enve 1.65 laced to Dt240s for a good price, so I jumped on them.

lella81

by lella81

2015 is wider than 2014

beatle

by beatle

Well, I'll give an update which will be heretical here:

I've ridden these wheels (veloflex carbon tires) a few times now and plan to use them for two HC TTs. I actually find that my tubeless: IRC Pro light on a Pacenti23 rear and Stans 340 front have better ride qualities. I do like how stiff the deep rims are on the Enve's and I may sell these off after the TTs and look for deep carbon tubeless.

You can roast me now.

boysa

by boysa

No roasting. I have a set of Enve 1.45F/1.65R laced to DT240s and I never ride them. Awful wheels.

I cringed back when I read about your decision, but I was hoping you came to a different conclusion. Sorry.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

beatle

by beatle

boysa wrote:No roasting. I have a set of Enve 1.45F/1.65R laced to DT240s and I never ride them. Awful wheels.

I cringed back when I read about your decision, but I was hoping you came to a different conclusion. Sorry.

What are you riding now?

boysa

by boysa

I have a set of HED Belgian tubulars laced to Alchemy Elf/Orc and also a set of Campaganolo Neutron Ultras. Love both of them. Saving my pennies for some new Boras, however. Trying to make the final decision between 35 and 50, leaning towards 35 in tubular.

My gripe with the Enve 45/65 is mostly due to ride quality and chatter. They just aren't "planted" to the road. Plus, I really don't care for DT Swiss hubs. At all. Everyone is different, though.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

beatle

by beatle

Thanks @boysa. The farsports thread has me thinking...

jimborello

by jimborello

uuuuugh those Enves 1.65 move a lot on crosswinds. I used them and sold them as fast as I could. Im definitely buying a new set of Boras 2015, they are expensive but they are the most sought after wheelset other than the LW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beatle

by beatle

I bought the tubulars because everyone says that the ride quality is unsurpassed. So I had to try them out. I feel that my tubeless IRC pro lights ride better than veloflex carbons and so I questioned why I am even on tubulars. Sure, the weight is excellent and I do two HC TTs each year, so maybe I should get a super light set for just those events. But otherwise, the IRC crr is supposedly very good, right up there with the best clinchers. So for all other racing it seems that I should go with a ~50 mm aero tubeless setup where weight is not so much and issue and when crr is included, tubeless wins. Not to mention the tires are cheaper and very easy IMHO to mount etc.

Thoughts?