novatec A291SB-SL options and experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tigoose

by tigoose

I'm considering building with this 60 gram front hub but am having second thoughts due to some reports of flange cracking. Should I use it or find another budget hub ?

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

In my experience, pretty much all of the taiwanese American Classic knockoff hubs with the RC Car bearings in front tend to be really similar in terms of bearing life, and I've seen a roughly even rate of flange cracking across the board.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

I have Novatec hubs on three wheel sets and have not had any issues... In fact I've been quite pleased with their performance and reliability. Two of the wheel sets are ridden in rain and nasty weather exclusively. Other less expensive hubs I have not been so lucky with - flanges crack, bearings wear out. I have heard however that the quality of bearings in Novatec varies significantly from hub to hub as they are built to the spec of whoever is placing the order, so depending on where you source your hubs you may be getting higher or lower grade bearings. Fwiw, I think all my front hubs are 76g... Maybe the non SL version.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The ezo bearings novatec use in there hubs seem no better than the cheaper nbk bearings. The a 291sb-sl hub is fine it is the rear folk have issues with and those issues are generally with bearing life.