2015 Bora's and brake pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

Just did my first mountainous ride (~45 miles with 6k' of climbing) with my Bora 35's (using the Campy brake pads that comes with the wheels). Oh my god are these things LOUD! It squealed like a runaway elephant herd. :oops:

What the heck do I do to make these quiet? These are NOT my first carbon wheels (had Reynolds DV46T UL's before) and although the Bora's brake really well, they are incredibly LOUD. The Reynolds on the other hand didn't brake for sh*t, but at least they were quiet. On the good side of things, the rims were not even lukewarm and the brake pads only warm to the touch even on the longest decent (which is avg of 10+% and tops at over 20%.).

At this point, I'm either going to have to make some major changes to the brake set up (no idea what), or get a set of SwissStop Black Prince (which I know are quiet pads)

Any ideas how to make this happen?! :noidea:
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Mine made a fair amount of noise for the first couple of hundred km but have been quiet since. Maybe the pads just need to bed in?

sawyer

by sawyer

Give it a few rides yes

Mine are quiet
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Used mine for the first time on Sunday and with the Campy red pads and found the braking excellent. I was surprised how much control there was with my Super record calipers. There was a noise under braking but I did not find it particularly loud, I kinda liked it!! Braking was better than my Shamals in the dry, not tried them in the wet yet.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The pads make a "whistling" sound while braking. I like it too. But that sound is not to be confused with the screeching of poorly set up pads/brakes. If you're getting that sound, adjust them. I spend a fair bit of time making sure the pad to rim is just right. For me, that means 0.75mm of toe in. I'm 200lbs. With that toe in and properly adjusted you should not experience any bad braking sounds. Maybe less toe in if you weigh less. All depends how aggressively you brake. I experimented with 0, 0.25, 0.50 and 0.75 before deciding on 0.75 as a good number for me. If you weigh less it could be less. But don't settle for any screeching. Shouldn't be there.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

audiojan

by audiojan

There's definitely no whistling… it's more like an angry elephant herd! Pads were toed in about .5mm, maybe I need to increase that slightly. I'm not a super heavyweight at 175lbs (although it is about 10lbs more than I need to be when I'm the fittest). I guess braking are pretty heavy though… when you're on slopes that top well over 20% and you bomb into a turn, you need to slam the brakes for a second just to bleed off some speed. We hit well over 55mph on that slope, so not going overly slow…

The good news is that the brake pads work really well in terms of modulation and braking performance. It's just the sound that is well beyond acceptable. Maybe another few rides… if that doesn't solve it, then it's Black Price pads.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

That could be true about the toe in as I align my pads flat, i.e I loosen the pad shoes, line them up, squeeze the brake lever tight and tighten the pad shoes. Always worked fine on all my wheels but I weight 130bs. I'd worry about using any other pads myself as the campy red ones are recommended and so good imho.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

Geoff

by Geoff

I still recommend a 'traditional' cork pad like Corima.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

cmcdonnell wrote:That could be true about the toe in as I align my pads flat, i.e I loosen the pad shoes, line them up, squeeze the brake lever tight and tighten the pad shoes. Always worked fine on all my wheels but I weight 130bs. I'd worry about using any other pads myself as the campy red ones are recommended and so good imho.

I pretty much do this as well except I use a cut piece of old inner tube to tie around the lever and bar just enough to squeeze the lever and keep the pads on the rim. I place my 0.75 shim between the rear of the pad and the rim, then align everything and tighten it down. With the inner tube providing a little springy pressure you can still play around with pad adjustment and have the shims in there while you adjust it and firm things up.

When I experimented with the amount of toe-in I used a cut up piece of a Chris King headset plastic shim (which I never use). These are 0.25mm in thickness. It was a trial and error process, starting with 0.25, going out and trying it, then adding 0.25mm each time until I could brake hard, in wet or dry, and not have any bad sounds. Then I just found an old plastic credit card or whatever that was close to 0.75mm and cut it into small longish rectangular pieces that I could place between the rim and rear of the brake. Works fine.

I'm sure if you probably rode enough without toeing in, it might eventually wear just right so there wasn't any noise, but why would you want to put up with even for a moment from day one. Adjust them properly and you should be golden.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

audiojan

by audiojan

Tried SwissStop Black Prince and they're perfectly quiet. They seem to wear rapidly though, so I'm sure I don't have to get back to the Campy pads eventually and make them work. Maybe I just need to break them in and play with the toe-in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

I am using the red Campagnolo pads that came with my Bora wheels. No toe in. They make a pleasant whistling sound when braking.

I figure the Campy engineers designed the red pads to work with the 3Diamante braking surface for better performance and heat dissipation plus I do not want to void the warranty by using an unauthorized brake pad.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.