Tubeless Valves

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JBV

by JBV

Is there a "best" tubeless valve for road rims, or it it rim specific? I've used Stans & American Classic, the former wear out pretty quickly, the latter seem to require a ton of tightening to seal up. Used a DT yesterday (on a Pacenti rim) and it seemed decent. Are there other experiences or recommendations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvdslw

by dvdslw

I've been running tubeless for quite some time now and have had the best luck with Shimano, Hutchinson, and Easton tubeless valve stems. Actually, I can say that I've never had one fail. I did however have a Reynolds 60mm valve stem fail on a set of Tubeless Assaults when I over tightened one trying to seal a leak.

Geoff

by Geoff

I would recommend that you stick with valves with replaceable cores. It improves tubeless significantly to use a sealant, which works much better if you can shoot it straight in the tire through a valve stem with the core removed. I have had good luck with the Stans product and Vittoria cores.

dvdslw

by dvdslw

JBV wrote:Is there a "best" tubeless valve for road rims, or it it rim specific? I've used Stans & American Classic, the former wear out pretty quickly, the latter seem to require a ton of tightening to seal up. Used a DT yesterday (on a Pacenti rim) and it seemed decent. Are there other experiences or recommendations?

Where is it not sealing up? Is it the core or the base?

JBV

by JBV

dvdslw wrote:Where is it not sealing up? Is it the core or the base?

The base. Maybe I'll take a picture of the chewed up Stans valve. The DT I replaced it with seems to be working well so far. I use American Classics on another 2 sets of wheels and they seem to work OK.

I'm sorry, from the responses I apparently assumed some things were self-evident. I use sealant and removeable-core stems, and I know how to tighten the cores when I put them back in. I guess I was hoping others had experienced some of the wear and sealing issues I had, and there was a valve that addressed them.

I really don't want to test every different tubeless valve on the market myself, but that may wind up happening. I can see why road tubeless is so slow to gain acceptance, despite its other advantages. The average consumer/rider wants a plug & play setup.

JBV

by JBV

oshuh wrote:i would like to recommend using pipe-sealing tape between core valves....

Thank you for this recommendation, I should have clarified the leaking was from the base of the valve stem, the rubber grommet not sealing up properly against the rim. The valve core is fine.

mattr

by mattr

Are you finishing the valve hole on the rim?
Just taking the edge off with a small file pays dividends.

JBV

by JBV

mattr wrote:Are you finishing the valve hole on the rim?
Just taking the edge off with a small file pays dividends.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The best valves I used while riding tubeless road were Orange Seal valves. They come with rubber o-rings to prevent damage to the rim (and also allows you to tighten the valve more, preventing sealant from leaking).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

FIJIGabe wrote:They come with rubber o-rings to prevent damage to the rim

i noticed that schwalbe valves also come with o-rings.
Dumb question but does the o-ring go between the locknut and the rim, or inside the rim?

edit: a quick google turned up the answer