Campagnolo Neutron vs Fulcrum Racing 5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello,

I am currently riding a Colnago Super with a modern build of Campy Athena and 3T carbon peripherals. The bike rides wonderfully. My only complaint is the wheels. I ride a pair if Fulcrum Racing 5s. They are ok but it feels they are not reacting when changing pace.

It is the same feeling as when I changed from pair of Mavic Aksium to a Dura Ace C24s at my Carbon bike. It changed the way the bike reacted.

What should I expect from a change to Campy Neutrons? Worth's the investment?

I am not interested in making a custom build.

Thanx

Multebear

by Multebear

There's less than 200 grams of difference on the wheels. They both have aerospokes. I'd say the difference you would notice is close to nothing. You would need some deep section aero rims, to notice the difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Thank for the reply.

I don't think aero will play much of a difference since my main concern us climbing.

If they are not so different why is there a price difference, beside Campy sticker and carbon hub?

Multebear

by Multebear

Lighter, better hubs, Campa.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 on the hubs. There is a big difference between angular contact bearings and cartridge bearings.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

To answer the question Neutrons would be a good upgrade. The racing 5's are entry level and the neutrons are a good top end Aluminium wheel. Also I'd rather run campy wheels with a campy group set out of asthetics and s sense of completeness rather than any good reason. Have you considered Eurus or Shamals if you could stretch to it as you'd certainly notice s big difference
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

Kupepe

by Kupepe

I would prefer to keep a classic spoke pattern. Shamals or Eurus on a steel Colnago Super with curved fork would be out of place IMO

LionelB

by LionelB

Neutron are very good wheels so are shamals, as for pairing Shamal (and they still exist in tubular!) with steel forks and all its really not all that bad :D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am sorry to say switching to neutron wheels will not make you faster. Campagnolo cup and cone hubs are technically very good but the difference in power consumption between the two if they are fresh will be less than 1w at 25 mph, a lot less so no gain there. In terms of aero performance there is not a lot in it. If the wheels are not reacting then you are not changing your power output enough. Lighter wheels may feel like they react quicker but you still have to put the power down to change pace and the change in power for a given change in pace under constant conditions with the two wheels is practically the same.

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Thank you for the reply.

Surely in the end its the legs, the heart and the lungs doing the work.

But I do get your point. Racing 5s feel a bit sluggish compared to the DA24s at my carbon bike. Surely using a stiffer frame like carbon is part of the equation, compared to a Columbus SL Colnago Super.

My aim was not being faster but lose the slugginess when pedalling.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That feeling of sluggishness though is not affecting your pace. Some days I feel sluggish on the bike other days well a month ago I could change pace very quickly and be active at the front of a race. I am riding wheels built with 500g aero rims. It is me that's the problem.

Switching wheels may make the bike feel less sluggish but I can assure you it will make naff all difference to how quickly you actually accelerate.

If you want new wheels to actually make difference get ones with wide rims. You might already have that though if your wheels are the new version.

Timujin

by Timujin

ive had both.... go campag....

nuetron are stiffer, smoother hubs and a perfect ride.... the Fulcrums feel cheap...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com