Considering Bora's - have I lost the plot?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

:lol: yeah, pretty tough/solid and pretty too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velomane

by velomane

Looking around online, there appear to be a few versions of the Bora. Is there a preferred version?

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Assuming you want Clinchers, get the Bora 50's. I got the new Bora ultra 50 clinchers last month and they are brilliant. Logic said get the Bora One 50's but I got a good deal of the Ultras so am very happy. Braking is excellent in the dry with the red pads, i'd say better than my Shamals in fact. Not tried them in the wet. Crosswinds are noticeable but no problems, rode on Sunday and it was a steady 20 mph wind with some 30-40 mph gusts and no issue really, a couple wobbled me slightly but it did not bother me at all and I'm not big at 5'6 and 130lbs. They are pretty much the same weight as my Shamals so not super light but certainly not heavy and obviously much more aero. Climbing felt good, certainly as good as any lightweight aluminium rims I've had so if you're buying a clincher I don't see the point of the 35 mm rim as the 50 mm rim is barely any heavier and still very stable and looks way better. I imagine the Bora Ones are just as good tbo but I just wanted the Ultras as I preferred the graphics and have no other carbon rims at the moment having sold two sets of Zipps (303's - old style with alu rim and 404 FC's)

Overall I could not be happier with them and can see no downsides at all.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

my two cents following a recent purchase...

I decided to take advantage of some of the smoking deals from europe and with the dollar to euro right now, I felt like I was getting a little extra off. Sold a pair of '13 mavic CCUs and decided on the ONE 35's based on some of the things I had heard. Spent the extra dough on FMB carbones.

and...

holy damn!

They weighed basically the same (a wee bit more than my CCUs), roll sooooooo much better and the braking is night and day. I can't say enough great things about them. I would love to try the Ultras for shits and giggles, but I am MORE than impressed with the ones.

... and the FMB carbones don't suck either ;)
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

You guys are killing me here.... I've got a strong itch for a set of Bora One 50mm clinchers... planning on picking up a set in the next couple of months when I have more time to ride and can make use of them! Maybe some Hyperon's too for the windy days?

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Just do it. I couldn't be happier with my Bora 50's. Fine in the wind and feel light enough on climbs compared to Shamals. I've wanted a pair for about 10 years and the clincher versions clinched it for me this year. There are some good deals out there now.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra