What wheels have 'Classic Look' & 'Modern Performance'?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bling

by Bling

Working on building a respectable arsenal of wheelsets...

I currently have a set of Easton EA90 SLX wheels. The performance is fantastic. But the looks are sub-par; an ugly aluminum brake track with a black to on the rim --- Performance aside, I put far too much effort into the aesthetics of my bikes for that to be acceptable. Fortunately, they're perfect for my gf's bike. She's currently on tubular 404's, which for a plethora of reasons are not ideal daily drivers.

I have a classic looking bike (horizontal top tube, lugged steel fork) with a few modern refinements (integrated headset, tight geometry). I want shallow carbon clincher rims (20mm or 24mm profile), but wide (25mm or maybe wider). Preferably all black, but I could tolerate silver spokes and a silver hub. They should perform equal to the Easton wheels. Does anyone make such a thing?

It appears most manufacturers don't make anything shallower than 38mm. I like the Campagnolo Hypron, but all my bikes are Shimano, so Campy is a last resort. Also, I'd like to spend less than $1k.

Please advise!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Look for a set of used Enve Classic 25mm wheels for that price. Otherwise you are looking at Chinese carbon.

Bling

by Bling

ergott wrote:Look for a set of used Enve Classic 25mm wheels for that price. Otherwise you are looking at Chinese carbon.

I thought the Enve Classic 25mm only had a 19mm rim width? Also, $1k may be restrictive. I'd go to $2k for an exciting set... But I'd also be okay with Chinese carbon, just haven't seen and with the profile & width I'm looking for.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

If you're looking to be at or under $1000 you'd be better off with some wide alloys. Something like the Hed Belgium with black brake surface built with whatever hubs and spokes you like.

Marin

by Marin

These are 24mm profile, 23mm wide carbon clinchers from Farsports. I don't think there are wider rims in such a low profile. Internal width is only about 15mm though.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Nice bike. Nice choice of tyres too. Tubular make excellent daily use tyres. The black brake track in hed rims does not last long though it is only anodised and will wear off. Maybe campagnolo neutrons it may not have a black brake track but they are shallow and perform well.

Personally I would get Chinese carbon tubular rims and lace them to some tasty hubs. Shallow carbon clinchers are as a heavy as an alloy clincher so what the gain.

Marin

by Marin

The gain is blackness :)

The shallow carbon rims are also a bit stiffer than aluminum I think, but I got the set above mainly for the looks. Still, 1220g for Bitex and heavier spokes on the drive side isn't too bad.

LionelB

by LionelB

Hyperon, hard to beat or their fulcrum equivalent for your shimano bike.

Bling

by Bling

Double post.
Last edited by Bling on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bling

by Bling

Marin wrote:Image

These are 24mm profile, 23mm wide carbon clinchers from Farsports. I don't think there are wider rims in such a low profile. Internal width is only about 15mm though.

Thank you. Yes I'm considering farsports. No as wide as I'd like, but all other criteria is acceptable.

Aluminum is not okay because I will not ride silver brake tracks (and anodizing wears off quickly)!

Let me know if you want to sell those ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com