Light-Bicycle.com carbon clincher rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thp

by thp

I think it's the opposite. They copied another product without understand why/how it was assembled that way.
They put it into production and started selling to customers without verifying the product meets or exceeds any criteria.
They didn't do a trial run to see yields and variations in process or people.
I see this as half ass product manufacturing using customers as test subjects.

Glad I decided to spend 2x as much on name brand carbon wheels, hopefully companies like Reynolds actually test their products and batches during manufacturing.

F45

by F45

WMW wrote:
maggierose wrote:So, I think there must be a series of defective rims in the wild. Frankly, the attitude chaps me. They acknowledge they don't know what they are doing. They just make "stuff" and hopefully, it doesn't fall apart.

I thought she was refreshingly honest and accommodating.

What she stated was that they changed to a new process that seemed to offer benefits, but that in practice there was a greater chance for error and less margin. So they are modifying how the rims are made to address this. This is about as good as it gets in the bike industry. I know of a certain big name company that spent many years coming out with new layups again and again and they always had issues.

Fails a visual qc check and the company doesn't even do function testing on their product after a manufacturing change. What a bunch of yahoos.

oh, and in case "yahoos" doesn't translate well, What a bunch of amateurs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I don't think that @maggierose had any problems that could have been indicated by a qc check. Throwing a tyre on the rim and inflating it might have shown them the problem or perhaps building sample rims up as wheels and throwing them on a bike might have been enlightening but a visual check? Not too sure.
I didn't get my build started last night but I did do a visual check and I don't see anything wrong. Maybe some very fine lines showing the ends of the layers of carbon. That doesn't make me feel too confident knowing what happened to @maggierose.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

@maggierose I will be starting my build tonight. At what tension did your first crack emerge at?

erik$

by erik$

I ordered 4 pieces of the U 35mm rim for road/cx disc and got them a couple weeks ago. Didn't check them that well but nothing stood out during assembly so apparently not too shabby. I have only tensioned up one of the sets and ridden it for about 15 hours. It seemed perfectly fine but I can do a thorough check when I get home this weekend. I inflated the 23 mm tires to 90-95 psi.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

My rear wheel is looking good so far. I had to back off the tension a little as it was up to 142kgf is spots and still no creaking cracking noises. Now the left average tension is 57.2 kgf ±8.5% and the right average tension is 117.3 kgf ±11.7%. Rim beds and spoke holes all look perfect. Just one more bout of violence/stress relief left and whatever resulting truing required afterward. I've laced up the front and I am at somewhat over half of the target tension. No indication of trouble there either.

The only problem so far is the spoke hole drillings are type 2 rather than type 1. This made following directions a bitch for lacing them, especially the rear 2x lacing.

Wish me luck.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I've finished both wheels, mounted tyres, and taken then for a quick test ride in the dark. So far so good.

David

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Again I couldn't get out until almost dark. This time I went a few km. I'm a little worried about brake track heat and I need to take care of the valve stem clicking. I'm no longer concerned about the rims coming apart.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I've now done 2 rides adding up to 150KM and the rims are still going great. I am having trouble getting the Reynolds Cryo Blue pads to not squeal/scream though. The first ride came with a 1.1KM steep descent, 8-12%, on switch backs behind a very slow moving car. I had to brake most of the way down and my rims were hot but not too hot to touch at the bottom. Yesterday I had significant crosswinds with less steering input from the wind than I get with my 30mm semi aero v shaped aluminum rims. My confidence in the rims grow with each ride.

I am continuing to inspect my rims before and after each ride and will report back any issues. One thing I didn't think to do before now is to observe the width of the rims at the brake track to detect less obvious separation issues similar to what @maggierose had. I am sorry that @maggierose had the problems he did but I am now hopeful that they were isolated to his rim rather than a problem with the model.

So far so good. I hope it lasts.
D

slashdotdash

by slashdotdash

dmulligan wrote:I am having trouble getting the Reynolds Cryo Blue pads to not squeal/scream though.

Give Swissstop's Flash Evo Black Prince pads a go. They're not cheap but provide fantastic braking performance with very little noise, even under heavy braking.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

slashdotdash wrote:
dmulligan wrote:I am having trouble getting the Reynolds Cryo Blue pads to not squeal/scream though.

Give Swissstop's Flash Evo Black Prince pads a go. They're not cheap but provide fantastic braking performance with very little noise, even under heavy braking.

Are you using them with a basalt brake track?

slashdotdash

by slashdotdash

dmulligan wrote:Are you using them with a basalt brake track?

Yes, using them with a basalt brake track, albeit I have Yishunbike carbon rims rather than LightBicycle.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

slashdotdash wrote:
dmulligan wrote:Are you using them with a basalt brake track?

Yes, using them with a basalt brake track, albeit I have Yishunbike carbon rims rather than LightBicycle.

Good enough, they are at least the same sort of brake track. How hot do your rims get using the Black Prince pads?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

slashdotdash wrote:

I've got a few hundred miles on a Chinese generic basalt-track rim for the TT bike. I won't be overheating brakes on that and the rest of the rim seems fine and robust. Braking with Enve pads makes a soft ziiinnnggg sound. Very smooth.

A sticker indicated that the rim needed to be oriented in a particular direction relative to the brakes. Anyone else seen that?
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slashdotdash

by slashdotdash

dmulligan wrote:How hot do your rims get using the Black Prince pads?

Haven't actually given them a feel to see how warm they are after braking, so don't know.