Light-Bicycle.com carbon clincher rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I seem to have tuned the squeal out. It held up for a 15km ride. I would describe the braking as merely as bad as cantilever brakes on aluminium. That's not bad considering the bad rap carbon braking has.

My weekend club ride will be the real test.

David

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Update: 6 rides totalling 431KM so far and no issues other than the brake squeal which has mostly stayed away. Braking with the Reynolds Cryo Blue pads on 6800 brakes is still at least as good as braking with cantis.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I an having two problems with the tyre bead that I'd like some help with. The tyre beads are very difficult to seat and remove.

I strongly suspect that my seating trouble is the Velox rim tape I used. It is off centre in places and the glue side is curled up in spots too. The bead will eventually seat given enough pressure but it makes the most disturbing bang as it does. I'm going to switch to a thin vinyl rim strip on one to see if that helps.

When removing the tyres I have the opposite problem. The bead really really doesn't want to come out of the bead hook. I have to use plastic tyre levers to get then off. I really don't like to pry against the carbon rims, I imagine that the force required is nothing compared to what the rims are expected to take while riding but it still sketches me out. Is difficulty removing standard tube tyres typical of tubeless compatible rims?

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I tried the thin rim strip and it did indeed seat easier but still not like every other wheel I've mounted tyres on. Now the bead seats with one bang rather than two and it happens at 60-80psi rather than 80+ making for a far less disturbing bang.
These are my first carbon wheels and my first tubeless compatible wheels.
David

shlammed

by shlammed

sounds like what you get with tubeless.

simnorm

by simnorm

My 23mm u shape tubeless farsport wheels also lock my clincher tires, making them harder to remove and noisy when first inflating them

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Thank you. I found no damage, but that sound was shocking when I didn't expect it.

beatle

by beatle

Mounting on Pacenti23 and Stans 340 rims (both alloy) I have a slight ping when the bead seats and it is not very difficult to remove the tires when deflated. FWIW

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

haha! that feeling you get the first time you hear that popping....

dmulligan

by dmulligan

It wasn't a pop, not even close. It was a full on bang.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

ddornian

by ddornian

dmulligan wrote:@maggierose I will post some pictures of the rims in a few days.

I doubt that maggierose and I are the only two who have ordered these rims. I would really like to hear from people who have experiences with the Light-Bicycle "U-Shaped" carbon clincher rims such as the RRU55C02, RRU45C02, RRU35C02, or RRU25C02 or the previous incarnation assuming the 02 is version 2.

I ordered Light Bicyle RRU45CU2 rims two years ago, and built up a set of road wheels myself with CXray spokes, used Tune hubs I found on eBay, and Veloplugs. 1400 gm. flat for the set. Light Bicycles information and specs were accurate, and I've been using the wheels everyday I'm on the road for a season and a half. I use SRAM rim brakes with SwissStops carbon-rated brake pads. Descents, rain, cross-winds, have been no problem through a few big one day rides and one cycling vacation. I weigh 83 kg. and have them laced 20f/24b. I dunno... maybe I've been lucky. But I'd buy them again.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

ddornian wrote:
dmulligan wrote:@maggierose I will post some pictures of the rims in a few days.

I doubt that maggierose and I are the only two who have ordered these rims. I would really like to hear from people who have experiences with the Light-Bicycle "U-Shaped" carbon clincher rims such as the RRU55C02, RRU45C02, RRU35C02, or RRU25C02 or the previous incarnation assuming the 02 is version 2.

I ordered Light Bicyle RRU45CU2 rims two years ago, and built up a set of road wheels myself with CXray spokes, used Tune hubs I found on eBay, and Veloplugs. 1400 gm. flat for the set. Light Bicycles information and specs were accurate, and I've been using the wheels everyday I'm on the road for a season and a half. I use SRAM rim brakes with SwissStops carbon-rated brake pads. Descents, rain, cross-winds, have been no problem through a few big one day rides and one cycling vacation. I weigh 83 kg. and have them laced 20f/24b. I dunno... maybe I've been lucky. But I'd buy them again.

Interesting. I've been toying with the idea of installing Veloplugs on mine to make mounting tyres a little easier. Did you use red or yellow?

Do you use super light butyl or latex tubes by any chance? I'm wondering if thin walled tubes and Veloplugs are a good match.

D

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk