are tubulars worth it anymore?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spectastic

by spectastic

I've discussed this in a different forum, that the gap between tubulars and clinchers have shrunk enough such that the difference is negligible in terms of the needs of the average racing cyclist. For example, the difference between my clincher and tubular sets are around 250-300, depending on the tires. Also, the corsa cx clinchers are pretty close to the tubulars in rolling resistance, especially with latex tubes. I'm wondering what the consensus is around here.

I've got 3 sets of wheels 2 carbon clinchers (38/50 1500g and 60/60 1650g) and 1 tubular (50/50 1300g). I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to keep the tubular set specifically for racing. I'm not too fond of tubulars for practical reasons, and I don't know if they're worth the trouble. Plus, I hate to have a pair of wheels sitting around all the time and not getting any miles on them.

thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Clinchers are more convenient and have lower ongoing costs, but everything else favours tubs:

- lower purchase price (vs same model carbon clincher)

- no dangerous heat issues in mountains

- lighter where it counts

- slightly lower crr (b/c you can run latex inner tubes safely in tubs)

- better cornering/handling due to round profile

I guess that's why 99.9% of pro level riding is on tubs!! :beerchug:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

spectastic

by spectastic

sawyer wrote:Clinchers are more convenient and have lower ongoing costs, but everything else favours tubs:

- lower purchase price (vs same model carbon clincher)
higher cost of purchase and maintenance of tubular tires make them even
- no dangerous heat issues in mountains
haven't they resolved this issue by now? basalt is pretty good isn't it?
- lighter where it counts
sure
- slightly lower crr (b/c you can run latex inner tubes safely in tubs)
why can't you run them safely in clinchers?
- better cornering/handling due to round profile
I think the clincher tires have pretty much caught up with their tubular counterparts
I guess that's why 99.9% of pro level riding is on tubs!! :beerchug:

The only legitimate reason I see is weight, which is more important in the mountains. the pros get cars to follow them with spare wheels and back up bikes, so that's not a fair comparison, when you consider most people don't have that luxury.

jeffy

by jeffy

spectastic wrote:the pros get cars to follow them with spare wheels and back up bikes, so that's not a fair comparison, when you consider most people don't have that luxury.

why on earth do you think people get married???

seaneT1

by seaneT1

I believe it is pretty simple: clinchers for training and tubulars for racing or KOM hunts...I believed this to be common knowledge by now...

Marin

by Marin

The fastest tires are clinchers nowadays, tubs are a bit ligher, mainly because of the rims.

Pros ride tubulars because of 1) tradition 2) they will remain a bit more rideable after pressure loss and 3) they have support cars and don't have to fix flats.

For a race where you don't have a support car, you're probably already better off with clinchers.

JackWalk

by JackWalk

Marin wrote:The fastest tires are clinchers nowadays, tubs are a bit ligher, mainly because of the rims.

Pros ride tubulars because of 1) tradition 2) they will remain a bit more rideable after pressure loss and 3) they have support cars and don't have to fix flats.

For a race where you don't have a support car, you're probably already better off with clinchers.

But if you puncture in a race your day is pretty much over if there is no support car. Not many people would be able to stop, change a tube, get eveeything going again and then catch back up, with enough energy to actually have any chance of actually coming close to a podium

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Am I the only one who sometimes thinks the tubular is more practical ? Tubular with Stan's I should precise. Stan's has fixed all my flats except one big side tear (that a clincher would not survived). I just leave the house without an extra tube, lever, pump. And for racing it happened twice that I flatted but the Stan's sealed it fast and I never had to stop. Also gluing a tubular is not a challenging task. The hardest part is ungluing them !

Now if the clinchers are faster ...

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

spectastic wrote:I've discussed this in a different forum,

Well what's wrong with you? What don't you get about the usefulness of tubs and the usefulness of tyres?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Tubulars just feels good to ride, and I ride to feel good. Seriously how many of us here are poor neo-pros living on a dime and hence have to do the train-clincher-race-tubular thingy. As mentioned, if you are experienced in tubulars you'll know sealants can make it last and last, and you can do the sealant patch job by the road too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Kayrehn wrote:Tubulars just feels good to ride, and I ride to feel good. Seriously how many of us here are poor neo-pros living on a dime and hence have to do the train-clincher-race-tubular thingy. As mentioned, if you are experienced in tubulars you'll know sealants can make it last and last, and you can do the sealant patch job by the road too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I am one of those few...if I had the money I would go full tubular though!

kgt

by kgt

Pros ride tubulars because tubular tires and tubular wheels are better in every aspect.
Clinchers being more 'practical' is a myth IMHO. It's just a matter of what you 're used to.

sawyer

by sawyer

spectastic, with respect I think you need to read a bit more on this forum
about the issues.

All of the points I made stand.

By way of example, the point I made about superior handling
in a tubular relates to the much rounder cross section of a tubular,
and this remains an advantage regardless of wide rims (which do help clinchers a bit).
A rounder tyre gives a much more progressive cornering feel.

Likewise, latex tubes ... in a closed system, safe ... in an open (clincher) system
you'll find many people have problems with them that make them unsafe it seems
for all but a tiny number that haven't - one is tempted to say yet - had problems.

Clinchers have closed the gap for sure, but to be honest alloy clinchers still outperform
carbon clinchers. Fewer heat issues and better braking.

One other advantage I should have listed is the much slower release of air in the event of most punctures. Quite handy at 90km/h ...

The closer match in many ways is a £250 pair of Zondas vs a £1050 pair of Boras ...

sawyer

by sawyer

Marin wrote:The fastest tires are clinchers nowadays, tubs are a bit ligher, mainly because of the rims.

Hi - clinchers are only very fractionally quicker if they have a latex tube. And in installing that you are taking much more of a risk than with a closed tubular system.

Safety wise, it's not apples with apples.

Pros also ride tubs due to superior handling and safety going downhill at 100km/h ...

Does anyone know if Wiggins and Dowsett rode clinchers or tubs in their hour records?

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Wiggins rode vittoria pista tubs for his hour record ride. I've seen the bike & I'll post a few photos later on.

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com