Long Term Review Of Carbonspeedcycle Products

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trailflow1

by trailflow1

If you'd ride that rim you deserve a Darwin Award. Where are your standards ? :shock: :?: :idea: The tyre could easily roll off the rim because of the warping. Any more braking heat could only make the warping worst.

Guessing the OP bought the wheels on ebay. The OP's wheels on close inspection look identical to a set i bought from 'CNcarbon' on ebay. After 6 months mine were dismantled pre-cautiously because the basalt brake track began to disintegrate. They are junk low quality rims. They fail because they are crap. Read all the threads on roadbikereview.com, most of the failures are wheels from ebay sellers. The evidence is there. My advice is avoid all ebay (and associated) sellers at all costs. They dont care about quality. Otherwise they would just reverse engineer an Enve/Zipp rim. But they dont, they offer poor attempt look-a-likes that barely pass as sellable. They only really want your money.

Reputable sellers like Farsports or Yoeleo do not sell on ebay. Why is that ? i think it is because they are not prepared to lose any profit on rims they have spent money on continually designing,developing,testing,improving and manufacturing. And a warranty they actually stand up to. This is why there is a higher price premium on those. Whereas the ebay sellers do not care because they are making them (same basic construction/no safety testing/no warranty honoured) at such low cost. They can undercut and are still making a return after the fee's and shipping costs. Any negative feedback doesn't effect their business model much because they can just pop-up elsewhere as with a new store and name. And then rinse repeat...

Compare Farsports/Yoeleo rims against ebay rims. They are not the same quality.
Last edited by trailflow1 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

trailflow1 wrote:If you'd ride that rim you deserve a Darwin Award. Where are your standards ?

Finally! The voice of reason!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Just a question - when the rim warped, were you aware of it while riding, or was it only upon later inspection? Just want to know for my own peace of mind.

As a data point, I have 5k mi. on a set of similar 50x25mm wheels from a different ebay supplier. I've used nothing but Reynolds blue, and they're the only wheels that have ever been on the bike, so they see group rides at least 2x/wk. Our descents here are short, usually no more than 1/2 mi, but some are 9-12 %. I am cautious as to how I brake, but like you say, when you have to stop, you have to stop. I've had zero issues with the wheels, including a trip to the Blue Ridge, but that was solo. But I don't kid myself, I'd not ride them with others in mountains, no way. I just picked up a set of RS80's for just that reason. I don't doubt the the gtt of most of these rims is well below what the high end manufacturers demand, as resin cost is one place to save significant money.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

tmr5555

by tmr5555

I purchased the wheelset for competition use and was mindful of not using them for training (opting for the Kinlin's instead).
Where I live, it's not very mountainous but the roads are narrow, they wind and the hill climbs often hit double digit percentages.
I was very mindful of pulse braking and rode the wheels in dry weather and only during the last two weeks working up to any particular event. In other words I was very cautious.
What got me was falling into complacency and refusing to remove them for training. Looking back I've narrowed it down to two events to when the delamination/warping occurred.
1) We were going down a narrow steep hill (imagine something like the Poggio descent at San Remo, where there's no way around braking for corners in the first place) when the guy in front of me out of the blue decided to stop abruptly in the middle of the road, no way around him, etc. Had to grab full brake and scoot backwards like mad to narrowly avoid him,
2) the second event was the downhill right after the above where front riders were so erratic I found myself having to brake constantly (and thinking "this isn't right" while doing so), It was so absurd because usually if among such riders I try to accelerate out of them and go in the lead to avoid them, that day everybody wanted to chase and lead lol, what a nightmare!
After that, the wheel was warped but oddly I didn't do a visual inspection*, I noticed the damage once home, 25 km later, pissed off about the wheel but happy to know it could've ended much worse. (tyre was at 90 psi - 23 mm).

You did well to pick up the Rs80's because even if you are a competent handler, you never know when an external factor is going to force you to grab full brake

*I use planetx brakes and as many know they sometimes "decide" to rub a little, so on the day I was blaming the brakes rather than the wheel.

emelgar8

by emelgar8

Carbon Speed Cycle is the most unethical company I've ever experienced.
I bought a wheelset from them 6 months ago. The minute I received them I put on a tube and tyre, I added air to my tyres and the side walls of the carbon caved in. Unsafe to ride!!!

HELIN from CSC has been the most unprofessional person, and is an outright crook. I've tried to contact them at least 20 times with very little response. I even had a friend email them (which they replied) to trick them into thinking I was interested in getting a new wheelset. I've been trying to get a refund for the last 6 months. They final agreed to refund me the money I paid, so I sent the wheels back. Now they only want to give me a partial refund. Criminals!!!!
I ended up getting a set of Reynolds...couldn't be happier. Now I'm out $500 from purchasing crap Chinese Wheels
DO NOT BUY FROM CARBON SPEED CYCLE