2:1 lacing????

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

upside

by upside

I have built several sets of wheels and now own a set of Vision TC24's. The spoke lacing on the rear is 2:1 and I find it very hard to perfectly get the rear wheel true. Is there any tricks?
I am tempted to take all the tension out and rebuild.. should the tension with this 2:1 be equal.

Big thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

If you build a wheel and get the rim centred and circular, then the spoke tension is what it is. The 2:1 design doesn't necessarily mean the spoke tensions are equal on either side, just similar.

If you have a wheel built 2:1 then as you go round the rim, there will be 1 spoke going to the offside then 2 going to the driveside, this pattern repeating. If the spoke holes are equally spaced then I think it's hard to avoid the rim acquiring a side-to-side wave as it's pulled one way then the other. A stiff rim mitigates this but the TC24 is a very light wheelset so the rim will not be so rigid. It's probably to avoid this effect that on the Campag 2:1 rear wheel design the spoke holes are grouped into sets of 3 close together, well, that and marketing recognisability.

If you can get the wheel near enough true and it's stable, I'd just live with that.

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

upside wrote:I have built several sets of wheels and now own a set of Vision TC24's. The spoke lacing on the rear is 2:1 and I find it very hard to perfectly get the rear wheel true. Is there any tricks?
I am tempted to take all the tension out and rebuild.. should the tension with this 2:1 be equal.

Big thanks

With 2:1 wheels you're going to have non-drive side spokes which have more influence than usual on the lateral true, but relatively little on the radial true. I typically bring the wheel into round using just the DS spokes, before using the NDS exclusively to correct lateral true. The workflow is a little different and takes some getting used to, but when you've got it figured out, it isn't too tough.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

upside

by upside

With 2:1 wheels you're going to have non-drive side spokes which have more influence than usual on the lateral true, but relatively little on the radial true. I typically bring the wheel into round using just the DS spokes, before using the NDS exclusively to correct lateral true. The workflow is a little different and takes some getting used to, but when you've got it figured out, it isn't too tough.

With this help I finished the wheel and it was SOOOO FUN learning something new. Thanks so much. I did get some Loctite 690 to seal the deal. Thanks again.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You should not have to bring a rim into round. With even tension +/- 5% the wheel should be round. If it not bin the rim as making it round will result in uneven spoke tension. Fortunately nearly all rims will be round within 0.5mm doing it this way. Trying to make a wheel rounder is an excerise in futility as you never notice when riding.

I would say tensioning a 2:1 wheel is the same as a normal wheel. That what I found when building one. Lacing was different part. Given the high spoke tension nds locate should jot be needed if the wheel is properly stress relieved. Glad you got it built. 2:1 lacing does need a stiff rim though.