Sub 1200g Alu Clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aruyt

by aruyt

Hello forum, this is my first post, and I thought posting a question about a sub-1200g aluminum clincher set was a good option :D

I hope this set has not already been discussed, I didn't see anything about it posted, but Fairwheel is offering an 1197g clincher set based on a Pacenti rim built around an Extralite hub.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/extralite-pacenti-sl23-wheelset-p-7544.html?zenid=a8d293925b5ee0b1aa6cc047ce1649be

This seems to be crazy light, but just wondering if anyone has any familiarity with these? Maybe if not with this particular set, but with the components? The rim is proven, but I think the hub is pretty new, so it may not have much beta out there on it, though Extralite has plenty of other hubs that have been around a while.

I wonder how robust these wheels would be. So light, may not be best for daily use. I was planning on using them for serious climbing days, but weight is not the end-all be-all if they roll like crap. If a 1350g set rolls stiffer/better, then this may not be worth it either.

Opinions?

aruyt

by aruyt

First post fail! Ugh, didn't see the sub forum re; wheels. Mods can move it...sorry! :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Pacenti rims are the end all be all hot rim right now. Wide, stiff, light, tubeless compatible. Extralite hubs are pretty boutique stuff, which is why they cost close to $600 for a pair. I know people on here have used them before, haven't read too much about them exploding or wearing out. As a general rule of thumb, you can get a 1400g alloy wheel fairly cheaply, 1300g requires use of either some exotic hubs or some really shallow, lightweight rims. And sub 1300g requires the use of both. Anything less than that will probably require carbon tubulars or some wacky exotic stuff like that magnesium wheel build that was posted recently. American Classic has a couple sub 1250g wheelsets (Road Tubeless, and Magnesium Clincher) for around $1500 or so.
If you're above 80kg, I'd say going that light with a 20/24 Spoke pattern is probably not a great idea as you'll probably flex the rim into your brakes or risk breaking spokes.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the new pacenti rim on my scales is 417g. the extralite hubs are 171g from memory. That leaves 192g for spokes and nipples. So I would expect then to overshoot that magic 1200g target. Rim weights vary Fairwheel bikes maybe using a lower number for rim weight

Kulivontot. I I build a 20F/24R Pacenti SL23 wheelset on WIT11 hubs and CX-ray spokes it would be heavier but would not flex the rim into the brake pads. The extralite hubs give good bracing angles so they will be stiff also so flex wont be an issue. What maybe an issue is bearing life if you live somewhere wet but I cannot say that for certain as I have never owned a set but would like too.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I think I should clarify that weight. That was an accurate weight, but it was for one set only. We hand picked the lightest of everything in our stock. We had rims that hit 410 grams each. Our copy editor used that weight since he didn't have anything else to go on, but realistically I think the production ones will push up to around 1210-1215 on average for the 20/24. We're also going to be phasing out the 20/24 and 24/28 set in favor of a more universal 20/28 set. We're going to offer it with Cxray which should hit in the 1225-1235 range, and with CxSupers which should bring it back down to right around 1200 grams. The 20/28 set has a broader appeal in it's use.

As a side note we've been looking to see what we could do as the lightest set of clinchers using off the shelf parts and it looks like we might hit 1075-1080 grams. Won't know for another month though until we actually build them.

nibby

by nibby

Spada Oxygeno 1180g a set – the Stiletto slightly more

aruyt

by aruyt

madcow wrote:I think I should clarify that weight. That was an accurate weight, but it was for one set only. We hand picked the lightest of everything in our stock. We had rims that hit 410 grams each. Our copy editor used that weight since he didn't have anything else to go on, but realistically I think the production ones will push up to around 1210-1215 on average for the 20/24. We're also going to be phasing out the 20/24 and 24/28 set in favor of a more universal 20/28 set. We're going to offer it with Cxray which should hit in the 1225-1235 range, and with CxSupers which should bring it back down to right around 1200 grams. The 20/28 set has a broader appeal in it's use.

As a side note we've been looking to see what we could do as the lightest set of clinchers using off the shelf parts and it looks like we might hit 1075-1080 grams. Won't know for another month though until we actually build them.

Hey, well thanks for the clarification, and the honesty. Still just over 1200g is impressive, and 20/28 would make me feel better, esp 28 in the back. I've got to think going under 1100g is going to be a pretty delicate set, but I'm certainly not an expert.

I'm very familiar with the CXRays, but not with the CXSupers. How do those compare, other than obviously being lighter? Are they more prone to breakage?

aruyt

by aruyt

bm0p700f wrote:
The extralite hubs give good bracing angles so they will be stiff also so flex wont be an issue. What maybe an issue is bearing life if you live somewhere wet but I cannot say that for certain as I have never owned a set but would like too.

Good info, I hope the new Cyberhubs perform the same. I'm not the most powerful rider, don't really sprint much, but on more than a few wheels I've been able flex them into the brakes.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

What rims hubs and spokes are you planning to use to get clinchers that light?

Wheel flex and brake rub are not always related. Rim depth and frame stiffness relative to wheel stiffness have an influence.
It may also be also low spoke tension causing excessive flex.

The one thing it is unlikely to be is a flexy wheel. Maybe yo have your pads so close to your rim that brake rubbing will always happen. I have that one one of my bikes but I also know the wheels are very stiff (28H HED C2 tub rims on record hubs with CX ray spokes) so I know I have to set the brakes up again but I cant be bothered.

Read more here it saves me writing it again.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-23159755.html

xena
Banned

by xena

I have 2 sets clinchers both around 1182grms ..maybe a wee bit lighter ..." crap kitchen scales"

Set 1 ,,,,Stans rims ,AC hubs , D rev spokes

set 2,,,,kinlin xr200 , dati super light hubs , sapim super spokes.

I
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

TonyM

by TonyM

I also was looking for max 1200g aluminum clincher. After checking many options and listening to many riders I figured out that these Alu Clincher usually didn't have a sufficient stiffness. I went therefore for a 1350g, stiff ans somehow aero alu clincher wheelset (Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite). This is the wheelset I use for climbing for example.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

TONYM are you comparing the two wheel sets described above by the previous poster to you to the fulcrum it not clear. If so xr200 rims with super spokes on dati hubs is about as flexible as i can imagine. Fulcrum don't do magic with there wheels. Relative Lateral wheel stiffness for different wheel sets is something can be assessed by knowing the components.

I think a sub 1200g stiff wheel set is possible but it will involve ti spokes extradite hubs and pacenti sl25 rims. A 28 spoke rear would be needed. Weight should be about 1170g.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delorre

by Delorre

TonyM wrote: I went therefore for a 1350g, stiff ans somehow aero alu clincher wheelset (Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite). This is the wheelset I use for climbing for example.

Shouldn't it be 1450g? :wink:

TonyM

by TonyM

Delorre wrote:
TonyM wrote: I went therefore for a 1350g, stiff ans somehow aero alu clincher wheelset (Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite). This is the wheelset I use for climbing for example.

Shouldn't it be 1450g? :wink:

Yes sorry 1420g.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com