Best tubulars for rain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

For the few months on Schwable One tubulars, they did fine in the wet, same as Conti Competitions. But they punctured on me like crazy so I gave up on those.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I run Pave's in the wet because like Sungod and bm0p700f I'm in the UK and with all the glass and flint in the roads you need a thicker/tougher tread. I haven't tried Conti's but used to ride the clinchers so assuming they're the same rubber I would expect them to hold up very well (puncture wise, no comment on the ride!).

Interested to hear of people saying that they like Veloflex in the wet. I know several people who complained about traction getting up steep hills in the wet on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JLiukkonen

by JLiukkonen

Wet roads and tire friction isn't as it seems. The better the grip, the faster it loses it when you are on the edge. Pro's tell that you can push Veloflex in the wet, but when you lose grip then it's all lost. Tire with not so good grip you lose the friction gradually --> time to react.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.rex.fi/en/bike

sungod

by sungod

bm0p700f wrote:Ouch sungod I hope you are getting back to normal.

thanks, yes doing ok, wasn't a 'good' place to break it so had a long time zero weight bearing, but got the ok to put weight on in mid-may, had a careful ride 4 days later :) been told i'm not allowed to crash which is fine with me

still a few months of physio to go but he says i'm making great progress, just fingers crossed now that avn doesn't develop

JLiukkonen - that's interesting, thinking back that's pretty much how it seemed: fine, fine, fine, *!&%

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

I like the Pave CG IIs, but it seems harder and harder to find them nowadays! I'm not a fan of the green sidewall of the CGIIIs.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

sungod wrote:tbh think it was not just damp, but some oil/whatever on the road making it extra slippy, these were busy london roads and both times i was going really slow

That's what makes this such a crap shoot. They all grip well, but if there is an oily spot and the road is smooth, then you are going down regardless. If it's a damp and it hasn't been raining enough recently to wash off the road, then that's the most dangerous situation.
formerly rruff...

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I've never had anything grip in the wet as well as Sprinter Gatorskins (I've had Pave 3, Veloflex carbon, conti Comp). When conti say they think it's an 'extremely grippy' tread, that probably a safe bet!
http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle ... in_en.html

If you really want a Latex option, I've found Michelin Pro Service Course (older version) in a 24 to have a much grippier tread in the wet than Vittoria's who's carcass they steal.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Paves are good but I find they puncture. I do have them on one bike though.