Looking for new aero wheelset, what to get? ~1500 Euro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

faken

by faken

H everyone.

So short story is; im looking for a new all-around wheelset, with some profile on it (45-60mm).

Having a hard time making up my mind, since I don't really have any experience with the wheelsets im looking at.

So far ive been looking at;

Reynolds Assault/strike
FFWD F6R FCC
Veltec speed 6.0 FCC
Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50 USB
Xentis XBL 5.8

These are all in my price range. My max is set to 1500 Euro (1650 USD).

Does anyone know what the difference between the Xentis XBL line vs their Squad?

Any in the forum who can recommend any of the wheels? Or maybe a set I haven't mentionend?

Regards

Kris

mimason

by mimason

Campy Bora 50s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

faken

by faken

Been looking at them aswell. They're slightly out of my budget, unfortunately.

phollingswo

by phollingswo

faken wrote:Been looking at them aswell. They're slightly out of my budget, unfortunately.

You can get the Boras for under 1500 from quite a few reputable European online retailers - if they're in stock!

I have the Bora One 50 2015 Tubulars - they are the business. Light, stiff, aero and look fast as hell.

Multebear

by Multebear

faken wrote:
So short story is; im looking for a new all-around wheelset, with some profile on it (45-60mm).

Having a hard time making up my mind, since I don't really have any experience with the wheelsets im looking at.

Would you mind telling, what your intended use is? And weather and roadconditions where you live?

It's much easier to give advice, when there are som guidelines...

Otherwise just pick a pair of Zipp 303 or 404.

faken

by faken

Do you have any links to sites that have them in stock for Shimano 11 speed, Clincher?

The wheels are mostly gonna be used for training in flat terrain.

I live in Denmark, so there's no mountains to climb, maybe a small hill once in a while, but mainly it's just flat, where I live.

Im mainly gonna use them in dry weather! I got a set of spare wheels for bad weather.

Been looking at these lately; http://www.starbike.com/en/xentis-xbl-5 ... er-carbon/

As far as I know, Xentis makes some decent wheels. But im not sure what the deal is with the XBL line, vs the Squad? Can anyone here tell me the difference? As far as I can see, they weigh abit more than the Squad 5.8, and the hubs are not ceramic.

phollingswo

by phollingswo

faken wrote:s no mountains to climb, maybe a s

Bora - http://www.bike-palast.com/en/Racebike/ ... bora%20one

Doesn't specify if Shimano or campa but you could convert fairly easily. Or just run a campa cassette - it'll work fine on Shimano 11spd

faken

by faken

Thank you for the link! Defiantly gonna concider them! As far as ive seen and read on the forums, it's an excellent wheelset, am I right?

phollingswo

by phollingswo

I've not ridden the clincher version, only the tubular. I think they are absolutely incredible though. Plenty of love for the Boras on this forum! Calnago is the man in the know, and has good knowledge of the pre-2015 and new versions, with different tire widths etc (though again mainly tubular I think) so search through some of his posts for more detail.

From what I've heard, the clincher version is one of, if not the best carbon clinchers available at the moment. And at that price, you really can't go wrong. Just please don't stick some continental gatorskins and heavy inner tubes though or I will hunt you down.

faken

by faken

Yeah they really do sound like a great wheelset! Wrote bike-palast to hear if they got the clincher version for Shimano, so im gonna wait for their response! And don't worry, I promise to use some decent tires and latex tubes, if I decide to buy them ;) If they don't have them for shimano I might just go for the Xentis xbl 5.8, I linked earlier, not really sure. It's so hard deciding on a wheelset to be honest!

But thank you once again for your response.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Bora. Nothing comes close.

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

+1 for the Bora's, best allround wheelset and much more aero since this year.

faken

by faken

I decided to go for the Bora's! Just placed the order 30 minutes ago! :) Thanks again for your recommendations!

sawyer

by sawyer

Will be so funny to see all these Shimano riders rolling around on Boras :-)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com