custom wheels: 866g AC Magnesium clinchers, Fred Johnson etc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

F45

by F45

Very nice looking wheels. The Electron hubs had caught my eye before. But wow, so heavy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ubergoober

by ubergoober

F45 wrote:The Electron hubs had caught my eye before. But wow, so heavy.

:lol: True. Also they were hard to find for me.

Someone posted the weight of Hyperon hubs on this forum, and they were surprisingly heavy as well.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

:noidea: How is there so much beauty all in this one thread!?

Keep up the gorgeous and very handy work!!

Loved the mag rim work and builds. I also got particularly excited seeing those polished Tune Mags and Extralites...

Mackers

by Mackers

Nothing to see here.
Just another guy that needed to get to 30 posts so he could open his for sale topic.

ubergoober

by ubergoober

Johnny Rad wrote:
ubergoober wrote:Living in Boulder a few years ago, with the view of HWY36:

NoBo?

Yes.. it was very distracting to see much cycling traffic from the dining room table. And the nasty winter days always had just a few psychos out riding, one of whom was Alexi Grewal.

ubergoober

by ubergoober

Mackers wrote:Nothing to see here.
Just another guy that needed to get to 30 posts so he could open his for sale topic.

Thanks for coming out from under your bridge with that sweet love note! :beerchug:
Check out some wheels while you're here my friend.

jooo

by jooo

@ubergoober - Have you posted pictures of these rims here before? Under a different user name or maybe on the old FWB forum? The pictures of joining and drilling the rims seem quite familiar for some reason :noidea:

Anyway, cool stuff :thumbup:

ubergoober

by ubergoober

jooo wrote:@ubergoober - Have you posted pictures of these rims here before?

Hi yes the FJ rims were posted on the old FW forum years ago. Although honestly I only recently finished building the complete set. I got some grams off them sourcing those Megalites instead of CX Rays.

There are some more wheels to post here.. next are AC Mag tubulars which will use rims that come in at 290/298g. Hopefully I can get them to about 920g with ti spokes. They are 32/32h drilling which means something oddball in front for 24h and whatever my options are for a light 32h rear hub. :beerchug:

Spanglo

by Spanglo

Really beautiful wheels. And this is eye opening stuff for a newcomer like me. Thanks.

jooo

by jooo

ubergoober wrote:Hi yes the FJ rims were posted on the old FW forum years ago.

Thought so. Thanks for posting. Great to see something pretty rare, especially with some good DIY thrown in for good measure.

ubergoober

by ubergoober

A new set, these are 1012g built up with American Classic magnesium tubular rims weighing 291g and 298g. :lol: :beerchug: :lol:

Hubs are 24h Extralite Cyberfront and 32h Alchemy ORC-UL (post-recall). Spokes are Pillar XTRA-Lite titanium with 2.3mm alloy nipples. Note my goofy lacing for 24 spokes on the 32h front rim.

As a fan of rare & weird stuff, this is my answer to ENVE 25s -- same aero.. or lack thereof :lol: , similar weight, and intended use (e.g. hills, the more the better). I can't wait to ride these; I am looking forward to seeing if the magic ride quality that I notice with magnesium applies to these.

kakan

by kakan

Hubs are 24h Extralite Cyberfront and 32h Alchemy ORC-UL (post-recall). Spokes are Pillar XTRA-Lite titanium with 2.3mm alloy nipples. Note my goofy lacing for 24 spokes on the 32h front rim.

Nice wheels... but how there holding up in the long run with that lacing?

RussellS

by RussellS

ubergoober wrote:Note my goofy lacing for 24 spokes on the 32h front rim.

Not to complain too much. But you put the front valve in a skinny spot between spokes. Why not put the front valve in the huge open space between spokes?

ubergoober

by ubergoober

RussellS wrote:
Not to complain too much. But you put the front valve in a skinny spot between spokes. Why not put the front valve in the huge open space between spokes?

Asking questions is not complaining at all. :lol:

About my goofy lacing choices I was thinking about the other side at the seam, and wanted to have symmetrical crossing spokes there. There is no "normal looking way" possible but this does keep the standard parallel spokes at the valve hole like all the normal wheels out there (to allow the pump an open spot). Check out another angle:

The lengths I went to save 30g… glad there's the WW forum for this madness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com