all around wheelset recommendation needed...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i've been riding on my v-shaped farsport carbon clinchers for 2 years now and quite often noticed the lack of continuous momentum on these wheelset on the flats. they are great for climbs.. but on the flats.. i find myself constantly having to keep pedaling non-stop to keep generating the momentum; whereas with a heavier wheelset, once reached a certain speed it's easier to maintain.

is there a wheelset you guys can recommend that is stiff for climb but good on the flats as well? i'm 150lbs.

thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Are you looking for a new wheelset for racing or for training? For racing you really need the wheels to spin up fast, which will be a lighter more aero, not heavier wheelset.

Keeping pedaling non-stop to keep generating momentum; that's what cycling is all about. That has nothing to do with your wheels. Thats all about training.

addictR1

by addictR1

Multebear wrote:Are you looking for a new wheelset for racing or for training? For racing you really need the wheels to spin up fast, which will be a lighter more aero, not heavier wheelset.

Keeping pedaling non-stop to keep generating momentum; that's what cycling is all about. That has nothing to do with your wheels. Thats all about training.

i don't race.. so probably a training wheel. perhaps you're right.. i just need more training. i would think a lighter weightweenie bike 13.65lbs would be faster.. but my friend's litespeed Ti bike 18lbs seems to roll much faster on the flats. :(

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

It sounds like the engine.... on the flats those FS wheels should do the trick. I have the same ones and always go them for long rides. i just did a double century this past weekend with them and sure glad that I had them. One thing... have you ever serviced the bearings... they may need some speed cream :)

Scott
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

eric

by eric

I always have to pedal non stop to keep going at the same speed.

Newer U shaped aero rims might be a little faster at some wind angles but the difference is so small you won't feel it and would not be able to measure it on the road.

Unless the bearings are actually bad you won't notice that either. Though checking them is a good idea.

What you might be noticing between your bike and your friends bike is rider position. If your friends bike has you in a more aero position, it'll be faster on the flat.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

On the flat you have to keep pedaling to hold the same speed, other wise air resistance and rolling resistance will start to slow you down, regardless of how much your wheels weigh. It does sound though like you are trying to hold a speed that requires a power output you cant sustain thus resulting in the on off effort rather than a more consistant effort at a power output you can hold.

Dropping weight on your bike makes no difference on the flats. It is all down to aerodynamics of the bike + rider. I would suspect your friend is simply more aero on his bike that you are on yours. There could be various reasons for that, position, clothing, legs shaved, helmet deisgn.........

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

addictR1 wrote:i've been riding on my v-shaped farsport carbon clinchers for 2 years now and quite often noticed the lack of continuous momentum on these wheelset on the flats. they are great for climbs.. but on the flats.. i find myself constantly having to keep pedaling non-stop to keep generating the momentum; whereas with a heavier wheelset, once reached a certain speed it's easier to maintain.

Physics says this is only in your mind.

It doesn't take more energy to maintain speed with a light rim. It is exactly the same. The momentum only comes into play when you are accelerating and decelerating, and even then it is such a small fraction of the total you'd never be able to feel it.
formerly rruff...

addictR1

by addictR1

WMW: i agree. i'll be doing a 100 mile ride with climbs around lake tahoe in early Aug.. so didn't want to take my farsport out and accidentally fry the brake pad tracks.

so looking for an alloy wheelset i can use for the ride and later for everyday commute.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com