Wide wheels and Campy dual pivot rear brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 0302

Anyone have issues with dual pivot Campy rear brakes and wide wheels? I'm specifically using Zipp 404 Firestrikes. I just bought them and I don't have enough clearance between pads and the rim. The front is fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xplaza

by xplaza

You might need a 2015 caliper, looks like rear Chorus was redesigned to have more clearance, not sure about Record & SR. Check this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129750#p1110107

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I know my 2014 Super Record RS brake calipers go around my 25mm wide rims without issue. In fact they could take a much wider rim. I am using the single pivot rear though. You just dont need dual pivot brakes on the rear.

So do the post 2012 veloce brake calipers on 23mm wide rims. the width I quote is at the brake track Firecrests cant be that much wider

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

On reading this I checked for any difference between the dual and single pivot brakes. Very roughly speaking, with the brakes full open, I'm getting about 32 mm between pads on the dual pivot and 38 mm on the single. Exactly how wide are those rims at the brake track?

So, depending on rim width and the amount of clearance you like, looks like there could be a problem with the dual pivots that would likely be fixed by a change to single. I always thought that the dual pivots were the same front and back, so not sure why OP would only have the problem with one wheel.

For 2015 the Chorus and "Skeleton" brakes were given a little extra clearance for taller tires. I'm not sure if the maximum opening width was changed, perhaps someone can measure and report.

Record and SR brakes did not change for 2015.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

LionelB

by LionelB

How much more vertical clearance are we talking about on the Chorus 2015 vs 2014 ?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Judging by the pictures on the link http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129750#p1110107 it's only 2-3 mm extra height on the 2015 Chorus brakes.

One.

by 0302

The 404 Firestrikes are 26.4mm at the brake surface per the Zipp website. I ordered these brakes this year from bikediscount.de and I wanted single pivot rears, but they were out of stock everywhere. I'm not sure if I got 2015 calipers or not though. My bike is in the shop getting new BB30 bearings pressed in today, but I'll check tomorrow to see what my max opening width is. Maybe I forgot to check the barrel adjusters. I put my single pivot 2008 Veloce Calipers around the rim and they fit just fine. I really don't want to have to order another rear caliper.

by 0302

Here's an update. I got a tip from a mechanic that there are two washers, one on either side of the brake pad. The one on the outside of the caliper is thick and the one on the inside of the caliper is thin. I was advised to swap the washers, which I did and this seems to have solved my problem.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

First place I look for Campy bits is Ribble. They are showing Record differential brakesets in stock.

One.

spookyload

by spookyload

0302 wrote:Here's an update. I got a tip from a mechanic that there are two washers, one on either side of the brake pad. The one on the outside of the caliper is thick and the one on the inside of the caliper is thin. I was advised to swap the washers, which I did and this seems to have solved my problem.

The washer that is on the pad is a helical washer with a curved surface intended for adjusting toe in. The one on the outside is a simple flat washer. Though thinner, I don't think you could swap them. I too am having clearance issues with my firecrest wheels, though mine is at the top of the brake from the tire being too tall. Using the Zipp pads helped as they are lower profile EVO pads. Still cant fit 25mm tires in my Look 695 though.

by 0302

Interesting. I did swap them and wondered why the toe on my pads looked off. I've been riding them this way for a while now and have not had any ill effects, although knowing this, I may try to put them back and correct the issue a better way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

I meant spherical btw. I am taking a set of the washers to a machine shop this week. They are going to grind them down 1mm. That should allow for a little more clearance sad a single mm on each side can make a difference.