FFWD F9R

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Washdogg

by Washdogg

Hi everyone :) Posted here a long time ago when I first got my Giant Defy Adv. Been loving it, but I've always been waiting for an opportunity to get some better wheels for it. Now I've moved to the flat lands of Cambridgeshire it's the perfect excuse to get something special to give the bike something a little bit special.

So I'm fairly set on some FFWD wheels because I've heard good things about them and they suit my price range quite well; also the colour scheme goes with the defy! Wiggle have a good deal on the F9R and F6R for roughly the same price. Pretty set on the F9r - love the look, and I've read that they're not too much of a handfull in cross winds.

Would be great to hear what you guys think, and any recommendations for tubs to compliment the wheels.

Cheers! :beerchug:

sawyer

by sawyer

If you don't have any mid depth wheels already then I'd say go for the F6Rs ... better all rounder
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

Hi,
i looked at your post about your defy. it would be great to see up to date pics and weight. i really like the defy and giants generally.

i think, as per @sawyer, that you might want to think about f6r. if you are still on those low profile kyrsiums then a 90 mm depth might shock you in regards to cross wind push. i had never had anything deeper than bora one 35's and i've got LW Meilenstein's and riding them in a strong cross-wind, with inconsistent upwind/down wind baffling is terrifying when you are on road. well it is for me anyway. nothing quite like riding out into a gap to be blown 1 m or so into traffic. heart stopping stuff. even if you've read good things i cannot see how 90 mm can be unaffected to some significant degree.

also for that kind of money i bought the bora one's i mention above (tubular 35's). as discussed elsewhere they are amazing wheels with many users seeming to think they are the best value wheel going. strong, great hubs, new wider profile. in 35 cross wind was negligible so perhaps 50 mm would be ok for you?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D