25c tubulars on narrower rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eurperg

by eurperg

I just recently glued 25mm FMB's and 27mm Veloflex Vlaanderens to Nemesis rims. Instead of Belgian tape I used the broomstick method both times...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I've used the "broomstick" method before as well, but I still prefer knowing the rim bed is pretty close to the shape of the tubular and was quite surprised how little real bond there was in the middle of the Nemesis rim using even just a 25mm tubular. The edges were very strong however but once broken it was a little too easy to pull it away from the center. Love the Nemesis rims however, as they just ride so nice along with some nice tires and hubs and maybe the most important, a good build.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

eurperg wrote:I just recently glued 25mm FMB's and 27mm Veloflex Vlaanderens to Nemesis rims. Instead of Belgian tape I used the broomstick method both times...

How does the width of the 25mm FMB's compare to the 27mm Veloflex's? I've run the FMB's and considering the Veloflex's for next year but can't go much wider/taller than what the FMB's are. If the Vlaanderen's really are fat I may step down to the newer/wider Arenburgs. Thx.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

eurperg

by eurperg

The profile of FMB 25 is like "0", whereas Veloflex is more circular like "O" when inflated. Their widths are 25 and 27 mm as stated, but FMB is almost as tall as Vlaanderen.

FMB:s have excellent comfort for 25mm because of that, but mine are so lumpy (all four of them) that they make by bars shake on smooth asphalt...

There's 1mm of brake clearance with Enve fork and 2015 Record brake, with FMB there's 1,5 - 2,5mm depending of position because of lumpiness...

LionelB

by LionelB

Been running 27mm FMB on Nemesis for Roubaix for years with zero issues.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

eurperg wrote:The profile of FMB 25 is like "0", whereas Veloflex is more circular like "O" when inflated. Their widths are 25 and 27 mm as stated, but FMB is almost as tall as Vlaanderen.

FMB:s have excellent comfort for 25mm because of that, but mine are so lumpy (all four of them) that they make by bars shake on smooth asphalt...

There's 1mm of brake clearance with Enve fork and 2015 Record brake, with FMB there's 1,5 - 2,5mm depending of position because of lumpiness...

Okay, thanks for your reply. I've had a lumpy FMB Competition CX 25 too which was disappointing to say the least.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Rappid

by Rappid

Hi there,

I have been running 22mm Conti Sprinter tubs on my Mavic Cosmic Ultimate last season.
The tubs are pretty god with puncture resistance but I have found these a bit 'harsh' here on Irish roads.
Does anyone tried 25mm tubs on these rims?

Cheers!