25c tubulars on narrower rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

Hello all,

I've just bought myself a pair of older Reynolds DV46's. I've got a pair of Conti Gatorskin 25c's that I reckon would be pretty good for the roads around here (volcanic chip & seal), just not 100% that these aren't a bit too wide for what's quite a narrow rim. I don't think they'll be hideously bulbous or anything...but what's the general consensus?

Cheers,

Simon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hi Simon, can you just fit one unglued and check it out? What is the width of your Reynolds?
BB

Coffee & carbon

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I have some Mavic Reflex rims that are traditionally sized alloy tub rims and I have no issues running 25mm Veloflex Arenberg tubs on them.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

i just installed a Gatorskin 25mm from Continetal 1 hour ago on my Nextie Bike 23mm wide tubular rim (rear)

mmm , not ridden yet (tomorrow) and inflated up to 8 bar to join rim/tire saoldering ... but it looks like Gator was born for a narrow rim ...

maybe it's only my point of view ...
http://eliflap.it/

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

BdaGhisallo wrote:I have some Mavic Reflex rims that are traditionally sized alloy tub rims and I have no issues running 25mm Veloflex Arenberg tubs on them.

Mavic Reflex are 21+mm at brake track actually a very well known rim for cyclocross from long time ago

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

beanbiken wrote:Hi Simon, can you just fit one unglued and check it out? What is the width of your Reynolds?

IIRC, old school Reynolds are between 19 and 20 mm at brake track

I think 25mm will fit fine anyway

Grill

by Grill

They'll fit, but I don't know why anyone would ride those tubs. The puncture protection isn't that great and they're as smooth as wagon wheels on cobbles.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Not so long ago the "standard" for cobbled classics was 25+ tubs, maybe up to 27/28 on ambrosio nemesis or mavic reflex. Which are both around 21mm I think.
I suspect it depends on how deep the rim bed actually is as to if the tub will fit nicely or not, rather than the width.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

A 25c tubular will fit fine on a narrow rim. The base tape of a 21c vs a 23c vs a 25c is typically the same across tubulars. The base tape is where the tubular will interact with the rim so the volume of the casing won't matter. Back in the day people regularly ran 34c cyclocross tubulars on narrow width rims without issue including older style Reynolds.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

Thanks for the replies, all.

Had a look at the base tape and the rim bed and no problem fitting these. I suppose I'm as much wondering about the desirability of fitting a relatively wide tyre to a narrow aero rim. They're currently running Vittoria corsas with a bit left so I'll run them down to the canvas then have a think.

I originally bought the conti's to go on my nemesisis(?)- I've been really happy with the conti 4000 clinchers for everyday, beating the crap out of them use so I figured these might be a good fit for that kind of tougher wheel. Heard various unflattering things about conti tubs over the years but hey - they were on special - only one way to find out! The last set of Paves I got had appallingly misshapen, pinched, base tapes so not too mad on carrying on shelling out top whack for them - there's actually not that much in the way of choice for 24-25c tubs that aren't veloflex etc and stupidly expensive - hence the trial of the contis...

Cheers!

Simon

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Wide tyres have been around a lot longer than wide rims - if the tyre manufacturers start changing their tyre design to better suit wide rims then you might start to see issues on narrower 'old' width rims, but until then you will never had an issue as long as the tyre is glued properly.

Just remember: Tape is for wrapping presents.

coneill0422

by coneill0422

Does anyone know if DV46T Ul's are 11-speed compatible? I have a pair and I am upgrading to 11 speed bike but want to keep the wheels

lannes

by lannes

coneill0422 wrote:Does anyone know if DV46T Ul's are 11-speed compatible? I have a pair and I am upgrading to 11 speed bike but want to keep the wheels

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=130479

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

BikeTart wrote:Just remember: Tape is for wrapping presents.
Hey buddy, it's a new era baby!! Effetto Mariposa Carogna Tubular Gluing Tape. Get with the program!!

Early 2015 called - it wants its antiquated view of tubular glueing tape back.

By the way, 25 mm Conti Competition mounted on 19.5 mm wide Lightweight Ventoux with Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape. No prob, Bob.

And yeah, I've been glueing tubulars since 1983. I also learned to use a slide rule, but don't use one anymore.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

25mm tubs on narrow rims... It depends on the rim bed radius. I've run 25mm Veloflex on pre-2015 Boras and they seemed pretty good, but not as good Angie as on the new 24.2mm wide Boras. I've also use the 25mm tires on Ambroisio Nemesis and found they bonded really well to the edges of the rim (most important) but less so in the deepest part of the rim bed. I don't feel like building up the middle using the "Belgian tape" method so have since decided on a 24mm tubular as the widest I like to use on the Nemesis. So, it depends on the combo you're working with as to how well they mesh together without any extra build up of the rim bed before hand.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com