Looking for light and aero wheels that cost around 1500 euro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

Multebear wrote:
Marin wrote:I can't see how wheels handbuilt by a reputable builder would depreciate more than system wheels, where you can't even replace broken spokes without problems.

+ 1

@ sawyer; you sold a 8 year old wheelset with 50.000 km on the clock for almost the same as you paid??? That doesn't sound right....

In that case, and with due respect, you don't understand much about the secondhand market for consumer durables.

The used market for a standard factory built wheel (providing its a popular model - e.g. Shamals, DA24s etc etc) will always be stronger than for one-off builds ... it's a recognizable product that people immediately understand ... price discovery is relatively easy precisely because there are so many around.

And yes, the figures I gave were correct. I benefitted admittedly from a rising £RRP on the Shamals - i.e. new in 2014 was a fair bit more than new in 2007. But on a nominal basis it cost me £40 for c50,000km

Oh and they never once needed trueing ... though as it happens I did once replace a broken spoke (rear der went through wheel at speed, spoke bent) ... cost me c£20 from Condor Cycles in London - fixed in a few days ...

Ok, my example is extreme I know, but the point of much lower depreciation on sought after factory wheels is an entirely valid one

I'm not against handbuilts per se, but something like the Bora One is such a strong proposition that all round I don't see any handbuilt that beats it ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seaneT1

by seaneT1

What is the deal with used wheels? no one so far suggested second hand wheels that would cost a fortune when new but can be bought now for that amount of money...why is that? I would like to know what can be found out there and if it will worth...

kgt

by kgt

That's wise suggestion. I got my slightly used LWs for 1500 euros BTW!

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Wow,that's nice! any suggests to where should I look for used wheels?

sawyer

by sawyer

seaneT1 wrote:Wow,that's nice! any suggests to where should I look for used wheels?

It is possible to get great deals as per kgt's yes, but you have to know what to look for, what to watch out for, do your due diligence, and accept even with all that there is a risk you're taking.

Couple of years ago I picked up a pair of new off bike F4R tubs with Schwalbe Ultremo HT tubs (unused) for euro600 ...

Previous iteration of Boras are pretty good value right now in that many people are selling the old version following the new rim shape ... but at your budget you can buy new ...

Multebear

by Multebear

sawyer wrote:
In that case, and with due respect, you don't understand much about the secondhand market for consumer durables.

I know enough to know, that I never would pay that much for a 50.000 km used wheelset. He must have been a easy victim. But of course you told the guy, that he was buying a 50.000 km wheelset, right?

sawyer

by sawyer

Multebear wrote:
sawyer wrote:

I know enough to know, that I never would pay that much for a 50.000 km used wheelset. He must have been a easy victim. But of course you told the guy, that he was buying a 50.000 km wheelset, right?

Absolutely yes - to be fair the condition was very good. Ridden in dry conditions with little braking these things can go on and on ...

LeDuke

by LeDuke

seaneT1 wrote:What is the deal with used wheels? no one so far suggested second hand wheels that would cost a fortune when new but can be bought now for that amount of money...why is that? I would like to know what can be found out there and if it will worth...

Sounds like we're after different things, but I picked up a set of U-shaped 50mm tubulars on DT 240s for $440 on eBay recently.

No signs of wear on the rims; I think the seller built them up then lost interest in them.

I see Zipps, Enves, Eastons, Bontragers, Corimas, HEDs, Shimano T24s and 50s, etc all the time. For pretty fantastic prices. I think most of the sellers of these items are those that have more money than sense, get the latest and greatest every season, and sell off their used-three-times-in-local-triathlons wares for very nice bargains. I half-heartedly bid on a set of Zipp 303s a couple of weeks ago; I maxed out at $550 and I think they went for like $620.

And, to be honest, I love those people. I've picked up a Hollowgram SRM and the aforementioned set of carbon tubulars for under $750 combined in the last month. Awesome stuff like that wouldn't be available to me, as a grad student, without the dentists and lawyers of the world.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

I also love those people, but I can't find any for sure :P ...hope I will!