Looking for light and aero wheels that cost around 1500 euro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Hello everybody,
first of all the bike that I race in is the Bottecchia Tourmalet T1, full ultegra with the fulcrum racing quattro wheels, that comes in at around 8,7 kilos (with some basic shimano clipless pedals).I am very good at climbing and holding fast tempos so therefore I believe that I need a rim width around 50mm and want one ligth enough so that I can one day upgrade the groupset,handlebars,etc and reach the 6,8 mark if possible! Thus far, I have found the campagnolo bora one 50 tubular for around 1400 euro and 1300 gr and also some gipiemme tubulars from my team sponsors and I want to now what else can be found out there and what should I be looking for...please note that I am 20 years old with no job at the moment so the cheaper, the better!!!

Marin

by Marin

For 1500, I would buy 3 sets of Farsports wheels :)

Actually, I did ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Gipiemme wheels look out dated, old rim design, unless there is new stuff not listed on their site. But may be you can have them for real cheap with team sponsor.

Buy what you can affort to replace in case of crash. Especially if you race.

liam7020

by liam7020

Marin wrote:For 1500, I would buy 3 sets of Farsports wheels :)

Actually, I did ;)

Or two pairs with DT 240s hubs!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Yep. Two sets of 240s, 4 wide 38/50/60mm carbon rims, 5 or 6 tires. Spokes of your choice.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

well I am closing in the bora one...I don't want to risk with chinese wheels...is there anything else except the ones I mentioned and the chinese ones? I want to explore every possible alternative before buying.Thank you all for answering thus far :)

kgt

by kgt

Corima 47 MM S or S+
Top wheels.
You are right staying away from chinese wheels. And not only for quality reasons...

seaneT1

by seaneT1

kgt wrote:Corima 47 MM S or S+
Top wheels.
You are right staying away from chinese wheels. And not only for quality reasons...

wow checked them out and they look amazing!!!! thanks a lot!!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Buy performace wheels based on there performance not on a budget. A price tag of 1500 euro does not mean a higher performing wheels than something costing half that.

I can think of alot of handbuilt options that could perform as well as a Bora but not cost 1500 euro. Maybe speak to a good wheel builder somewhere in your own country, plenty about.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

bm0p700f wrote:Buy performace wheels based on there performance not on a budget. A price tag of 1500 euro does not mean a higher performing wheels than something costing half that.

I can think of alot of handbuilt options that could perform as well as a Bora but not cost 1500 euro. Maybe speak to a good wheel builder somewhere in your own country, plenty about.

I understand and agree with what you are saying but unfortunately, I have a limited budget right now so I will have to get the highest performing wheels with what i have, and since i don't know which wheels are those, I asked here hoping to get the help I need...and it seems to be working,thanks guys! :D

About handbuilt wheels,I didn't even knew they were an option...and I think that they are not in my country...I live in Greece and I don't know of anyone who builds high performance racing wheels here...I'll check nevertheless to see what I can find around here,so thank you :)

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Flo 30?

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

sawyer

by sawyer

kgt wrote:Bora One.

+1 if you are on Campag
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

No, you won't be able to get better or higher quality handbuilt wheels in Greece for less than 1500.
Corima or Bora are the best you can get.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

Went for the Shimano C50 tubs myself - so far I'm happy with them.