Looking for light and aero wheels that cost around 1500 euro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

What I mean is you can get a set of hand built wheels that would perform as well as bora's but cost less. Thats a win win in my book.

Chinese wheels can be good or bad it depends on who makes them. Some of the chinese produced rims are excellent and equal in quality to may name brands if you pick the right ones (in terms of roundness, flatness and over all consistancy brake track seems pretty good these days too).

gigantex rims are hardly expensive either.

Even buying Corima rims and having them laced to decent hubs will not cost a huge ammount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seaneT1

by seaneT1

p3dalfaster wrote:Went for the Shimano C50 tubs myself - so far I'm happy with them.

they are far beyond my budget and a bit heavier that what I opt for...still a very nice pair of wheels!

seaneT1

by seaneT1

bm0p700f wrote:What I mean is you can get a set of hand built wheels that would perform as well as bora's but cost less. Thats a win win in my book.

Chinese wheels can be good or bad it depends on who makes them. Some of the chinese produced rims are excellent and equal in quality to may name brands if you pick the right ones (in terms of roundness, flatness and over all consistancy brake track seems pretty good these days too).

gigantex rims are hardly expensive either.

Even buying Corima rims and having them laced to decent hubs will not cost a huge ammount.

I find the idea of handbuilt wheels interesting but ,as I said before, I have no idea about them and there aren't any builders anywhere near me... I will surelly have it in mind when looking, but I will definitely need help since I know nothing about them... :?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

No bike shops near you?

If that fails, build them yourself. Best bike mechanical skill to have, and pretty easy to learn. Truing stand and tension meter will pay for themselves.

Read 10-15 pages of the "Open Mold Wide Profile Carbon Rim" thread; tons of happy customers.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

LeDuke wrote:No bike shops near you?

If that fails, build them yourself. Best bike mechanical skill to have, and pretty easy to learn. Truing stand and tension meter will pay for themselves.

Read 10-15 pages of the "Open Mold Wide Profile Carbon Rim" thread; tons of happy customers.

Handbuilding them myself seems quite a pain in the ass at the moment :/ ...maybe someday I will try but now I'll go with ready wheels

Multebear

by Multebear

I don't know about chinese wheels in generel, but the chinese vendor Farsports, sell really good rims. I have two sets myself, and use them for cat 2 racing. They perform extremely well.

With limited cash and no job, it seems to me, that lacing your own wheels with chinese rims is just the right option for you.

Bora One, sure, they are great wheels, but as mentioned by others, you can build something just as good yourself. I did it myself, and I'm definitely no genious.

If you don't want to build them yourself, there must be a LBS near you, who can lace them together. Every LBS where I live, offer that option. If not, with the ability to lace your own wheels, you could get a job and costumers and no competition - sounds like a profitable business ;-)

But it seems to me, that you are already very close to pulling the trigger on those Boras...

Marin

by Marin

If you are getting rims shipped from Farsports, just add the 175$ to get hubs, spokes and the build too.

sawyer

by sawyer

bm0p700f wrote:What I mean is you can get a set of hand built wheels that would perform as well as bora's but cost less. Thats a win win in my book.

Bora Ones are available for little over £1k in tubular version

I'm curious, what hand built builds will be as good as them for less initial outlay.

Note "initial outlay" ... "cost" as in "total cost of ownership" is another matter

The Boras will depreciate far less than handbuilts

I recently sold a set of Shamal Ultras that were bought in 2007 and had c50,000 km on them (though were actually still in very good condition as they were almost all dry miles with limited braking) for £40 (nominal) less than I paid for them 7 years earlier ...

No way any handbuilt build would have re-couped that kind of %age
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

seaneT1

by seaneT1

@ sawyer very interesting since I will probably have to sell them at some point later on...As for the chinese wheels that everyone recommend, I have to say that I'm a little afraid about their quality and that is the main reason I'm closing in on the boras, since I know that the quality they offer is extraordinary! +they would look really,really good on my black and red bike 8)
Anyhow,my racing plans have been changed so I will think about the wheels that I will buy for a month or two before deciding now, so I will give everything a very good thought :)

Marin

by Marin

I can't see how wheels handbuilt by a reputable builder would depreciate more than system wheels, where you can't even replace broken spokes without problems.

Multebear

by Multebear

Marin wrote:I can't see how wheels handbuilt by a reputable builder would depreciate more than system wheels, where you can't even replace broken spokes without problems.

+ 1

@ sawyer; you sold a 8 year old wheelset with 50.000 km on the clock for almost the same as you paid??? That doesn't sound right....

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Marin wrote:I can't see how wheels handbuilt by a reputable builder would depreciate more than system wheels, where you can't even replace broken spokes without problems.

The problem is that there aren't any of those around here :(

kgt

by kgt

There are some very good builders like Siganos, Poukamisas, Kaklamanos etc. The thing is that if you want to buy good rims, high quality hubs and sapim or dt spokes you end up paying more than 1000 euros and in this case a pair of Boras or Corimas is a much wiser choise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

kgt wrote:There are some very good builders like Siganos, Poukamisas, Kaklamanos etc. The thing is that if you want to buy good rims, high quality hubs and sapim or dt spokes you end up paying more than 1000 euros and in this case a pair of Boras or Corimas is a much wiser choise.

See, that actually makes sense.

While I build my own wheels, I know that a set of Boras, Zipps, etc. will always command more when I go to sell. And, if you can find new Boras for that cheap (1000 €), I'd go that route. A set of hand built wheels won't fetch nearly as much as Boras, and you stand to lose far less (maybe even gain?) of your initial cost that way.

But, if I had 1500 to spend and was concerned with day to day usability, I'd build two sets of U-shaped tubs at different depths. Cover everything short of a flat out TT setup. I prefer user friendly, common spoke length and type, non-straight pull hubs, etc. I have Enve XC wheels, and truth be told, they are a bit of a pain in the ass, aside from the hubs (I use DT 240s on all 5 road/CX/MTB wheel sets); internal spoke nipples are a truly terrible idea, particularly on a mountain bike wheel.