Reynolds DV46UL - Any good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lovemydales

by lovemydales

Hey Everyone,

Just wanting get your opinion on these tubular wheels. I know someone who is selling a set of these which have only been used for around 250km.

I will most probably use my alloy clinchers for when I go climbing... Not sure carbon wheels of this light weight as safe enough to use for this purpose.

I weigh around 84kg which is around 185 pounds.

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I personally would be happy to climb with them as long as your decents are manageable. I have a set of 2012 Reynolds 46 clinchers. [Redundant now been replaced with Zipps & Corimas] Fine wheels but their design is the old wedge shape. Braking was solid but a bit noisy using their blue pads. If the price is right it is a great start to carbon tubulars.

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

mimason

by mimason

These are pretty old wheels. I have a 32UL front and the rear was RAP replaced for a newer 32 after I pulled a spoke. I'd guessing these are circa 2008/2009. What is nice is the low usage and they are really nice riding wheels plus DT Swiss hubs to boot. If you get them real cheap they should be fine and since they are tubulars good for the hills.

RyanH

by RyanH

I had a pair, they are fantastic wheels. Very stiff and handle really well. I put thousands of miles on mine including some very steep descents. I'd trust them in the mountains more than most wheels since they are so robust. I only had to true my pair once, and that was compliments of the airline baggage crew.

Since they are older, if you get them for less than $600, it a good deal.

lovemydales

by lovemydales

Sounds good. You mention being tubular they will handle the hills and descents. How so.

I was always told carbon rims cook and fry when going on climbing rides during decents.

500-600km of riding not 250km as previously mentioned.

lannes

by lannes

These are excellent wheels, even though they are pretty old now, team them up with a set of Cryo blue power pads and downhills shouldn't be a problem.

I've had mine since 2009, ridden them a lot with zero problems,never had to true them at all.

1160g for a tubular wheelset is still up there with the lightest you can buy, especially in a 46 rim height.
I've found the DT based hubs are bomb proof and roll very well.

Really good value at the moment, with a wheelset which is still just as good if not better than some wheels on the market.

http://www.bikewheelsets.com/reviews/re ... et-review/

Qman

by Qman

The problem of carbon rims failing on descents has only occurred with clinchers. No such problems with tubulars, so they are ideal wheels to take into the mountains. You would need to find out how good the braking is on the DV46UL's. In general braking on carbon rims is a little weaker than on aluminum rims in the dry, and much weaker in the wet. It's also highly dependent on the brake pads.

thegunner

by thegunner

i ride mv32ULs all the time (and i've taken them down long descents in norcal) and they've been absolutely fantastic. i love the reynolds wheels (anecdotal evidence, but +1 on the dv46ULs as well)

RyanH

by RyanH

If you can, try to find a 2011 set or newer as they have the improved brake track (the 46 model). My Thirty Two's with the Ctg track have excellent stopping power, much better than the Enve classics and the pre-2011 DV46. Even then, the braking with the Reynolds Blue pads was acceptable with the DV46's.

lovemydales

by lovemydales

sound like decent all rounder wheels then.

Anyone know the rider weight limit for these wheels??

lannes

by lannes

lovemydales wrote:sound like decent all rounder wheels then.

Anyone know the rider weight limit for these wheels??

I don't think there is one, that is the beauty of this wheelset

Check out the answer from Reynolds

http://www.reynoldscycling.com/support/faq/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

I had an older pair (guessing around 2008) and braking was nothing short of atrocious… plus they flexed like crazy (where I lived then was pretty flat, so not that big of a deal) and they took wind like a sail (a major deal in the flatlands…). Unless they improved tremendously over the years, I would get something else...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin